Engineering Design Challenge
Learn critical thinking, creativity, innovation and problem solving in a non-traditional learning event and have fun at the same time! Young people in grades 3 and up can participate in friendly science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) events. Participants apply their STEM knowledge to solve problems by identifying and researching them, then making and implementing a plan to design a solution. The challenge is designed by staff from the University of Minnesota Extension Center for Youth Development.
The 2018 Engineering Design Challenge: Plant a seed and water it
New in 2018
Engineering Design Challenge Level 2 for youth in grades 9 and up
Level 2 machines will incorporate four types of engineering: mechanical (simple machines), chemical, electrical and fluid power.
Engineering Design Challenge Level 1 for youth in grades 3 through 8
Level 1 machines focus on mechanical engineering (simple machines).
4-H Engineering Design Challenge state showcase event
We are hosting our first ever state event for all Level 1 and Level 2 teams. This event will include a conference judging experience, STEM careers, hands-on educational sessions and guest speakers.
Form a team and take part in the 2018 Engineering Design Challenge!
- Every team needs 2 adult coaches/helpers who are screened 4-H volunteers.
- Both coaches/helpers must sign up before the team members can sign up.
- Download the handbook(s) for full information.
Webinars for coaches
The STEM team will conduct three webinars to assist EDC coaches in leading their teams.
Take part in the webinars or watch the recordings
If you've never taken part in an Adobe Connect webinar before, you'll be asked to download the Adobe Connect application. Follow these steps:
- Click on the link to the webinar recording.
- Click the "Download now" button, and then open and run the downloaded file.
The webinar will begin after you run the application. You need to do this only once; future webinars will not require you to download the app again.
Webinar 1: March 21, 2018
- Meet the STEM Team
- Specifics for the 2018 Engineering Design Challenge task Level 1 and Level 2
- Team and coaching resources
- New EDC state showcase event
Webinar 2: Monday, April 9 - 6:30 p.m. CDT
- Challenge basics
- General questions
Webinar 3: Tuesday, May 22 - 6:30 p.m. CDT
- STEM concepts & learning connected to the machines
- General questions
Follow these directions to join any of the webinars
Before the webinar
- Sign in to the site at any time to check your computer/device connection and get the Adobe download to participate. This "add-on" takes several minutes to download.
- If patticipating on an iPad or iPhone, download the Adobe App prior to the meeting time
On the day of the webinar
- Sign on to the webinar site 15 minutes early (6:15 p.m. CDT) to test your Internet and speaker connection. There will also be a "sign-in pod" to record your participation.
- Follow these steps to participate in the webinar on a computer
- Use a computer that has a high-speed Internet connection and speakers (audio will come through your computer)
- Go to https://umnextcyd.adobeconnect.com/engineeringchallenge/ (If prompted to download the Adobe add-on, click yes.)
- You will be directed to a sign-in page. Enter as Guest by typing your name and clicking the Enter Room button.
- Level 1 handbook, printable Level 1 handbook (PDF)
- Level 2 handbook, printable Level 2 handbook (PDF)
- Ideas & resources
- Meet our program leaders