New School Gardens for a Thousand Minnesota Youth
Implement at least three new school gardens in the CRSDP region. Staff from these schools have completed the School Garden 101 training and have developed a garden plan. Participating schools will successfully implement and sustain planned school garden projects that support student learning and access to fresh food.
- University of Minnesota: Community Food System Educators and Master Gardeners
- Local Public Health Educators
- School Staff
- Training for hosts of SG101 (14 locations) and for Master Gardener lecture presenters
- School Garden 101 training is provided to schools across Minnesota
- Schools complete the School Garden 101 training
- School garden descriptions are provided to the RSDP partnerships to choose candidates for funding
- Awards from RSDP to schools to create new school gardens are announced
- Schools utilize award funds to build school gardens
- Schools provide project evaluation and host a tour for the partnerships of the garden
- 15 new school gardens will be built in Greater Minnesota.
- Over 1000 students will be engaged in the process of garden creation and maintenance. They will participate in educational activities in the outdoor garden classroom.
- Schools will strengthen relationships with University of Minnesota and other community partners to build long-term support for garden success.
4-H Grant - $5,250
Wadena County Public Health