Fencing system design
Learn what type of fence will work for you
In this Farmbyte, we're sharing:
- A video on fencing system options
- Some great resources:
- Guides on rotational grazing
- Info on electric fencing
- Another video profiling fencing setups on several farms
Grazing Systems Planning Guide
This guide covers more broadly rotational grazing systems and includes soil fertility, livestock grazing habits, paddock setup, and fencing. From UMN Extension. (PDF 3.65 M)
Pastures for Profit: A Guide to Rotational Grazing
Similar content to Grazing Systems Planning Guide. From USDA. (PDF 604 K)
Electric Fencing for Serious Graziers
This guide provides recommendations for electric fence design, and includes a section on troubleshooting. From USDA. (PDF 3.28 M)
Fencing System Farm Profiles
This video profiles farms in southeast Minnesota that use rotational grazing and how they have set up their fencing systems. From UMN Extension.
- There are multiple types of fencing, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
- Most graziers use electrified high tensile wire for perimeter fencing, with polywire or electric fence for internal fencing.
- Use these guides! They’re very high quality and will walk you through the considerations you need to be taking as you design your fencing system.