Make and Freeze Homemade Applesauce
- Wash, peel, core and quarter apples.
- Cook apples on medium heat for 10 - 20 minutes until tender. Add ½ cup water. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Mash the pulp into sauce.
- Add 1/8 cup sugar per quart of sauce. (Optional). Leave out the spices. Spices lose their flavor with freezing. Add spices to the sauce after you thaw it.
- Cool the sauce in a shallow pan in the refrigerator.
- Pack the sauce in rigid freezer containers, leaving one inch of headspace.
- Freeze at 0 degrees for Fahrenheit 8 to 12 months.
- Apples are Peaking: Choose the Best Preservation Method — National Center for Home Food Preservation
Peer reviewed by Kathy Brandt 2015