Bake this delightful casserole of eggs, bread, vegetables, and cheese. This is a great dish to make for large family gatherings.
Number of Servings: 8
Serving Size: 1/8 size of recipe
1 teaspoon canola oil or nonstick cooking spray
6 slices whole grain bread
1 1/2 cup frozen vegetables
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, graded
2 cups skim milk
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Time needed: 30 minutes preparation; 1 hour 15 minutes cook time
- Lightly grease bottom of a 2 to 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Break bread into pieces and layer the bottom of the pan with 1/2 of the pieces.
- Top bread with frozen vegetables, beans, and cheese.
- Place remaining bread on top.
- In a bowl, mix eggs and milk.
- Add onion powder and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over bread mixture in the pan.
- Press bread down gently so bread soaks up egg mixture.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Take off foil or plastic wrap. Bake uncovered for 1 to 1.25 hours until center is firm and lightly browned. Check internal temperature if you have a thermometer to make sure it is 160 degrees F.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of cooking.
|Total Fat:||9.3 g|
|Saturated Fat:||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||25.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||5.8 g|
|Total Sugar:||8 g|
Allergens: Soy (check cooking spray label ingredients), wheat, dairy eggs
Tips and Variations
This casserole will not freeze well.
Strata is a great dish to serve for large family gatherings. Prepare it ahead of time and bake it when needed.
Explore substituting different frozen or left over vegetable combinations (cooked potatoes, onions, peppers, broccoli, etc.), protein options, and seasonings. It’s a great way to use up leftovers.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Fruity Breakfast Parfait — Create your own parfait for an energy-backed breakfast or snack. Experiment with different fruit and yogurt combinations.
Breakfast Egg Burrito — Make a large batch of these burritos and freeze them for a quick, satisfying mid-week breakfast. This burrito will help your kids start their school day out right!Easy Cabbage and Egg Stir Fry — Fry up this meatless dish when cabbage and carrots are plentiful. It’s easy and quick to make.