Make a big batch of homemade refried beans. It may take more time than opening a can, but it can help you save money at the grocery story.
Number of servings: 8
Serving size: 1/4 cup
2 cups dry pinto beans (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt to taste
Time needed: 5 minutes preparation; 1 hour and 45 minutes cook time; 1-4 hours wait time
- Add 1 1/2-2 quarts of water to a large pot with a lid. Bring to boil.
- Wash and sort beans. Add beans to the water and boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the beans stand for 1-4 hours.
- Drain beans. Return beans to the pot and add 6 cups water and bring to boil. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 90 minutes.
- When beans are soft, reserve some of the cooking liquid and drain the beans.
- Prepare a large skillet by heating oil over medium heat.
- Add about 1/2 cup of beans and mash with the back of spoon or a mashing utensil. If the mixture seems thick, add about 1 tablespoon of the cooking liquid from the beans.
- Continue to add beans and mash together, adding liquid as necessary.
- Once beans are mashed to the desired consistency, add garlic and salt to taste.
|Total Fat:||8 g|
|Saturated Fat:||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||7 g|
|Total Sugar:||1 g|
Allergens: None noted
Tips and variations
Children can measure out and “dump” ingredients, and help with mashing the beans.
Use the prepared refried beans as a filling for tacos or burritos, a dip, and more.
Substitute black beans or add cumin as desired.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Refried beans (no date; What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Preparing dry beans and whole dry peas (PDF) — Save money and time by preparing your own dried beans and peas.
Instant Spanish rice — Cook Spanish rice with instant brown rice. It will cut down on your cooking time and add additional health benefits (and flavor) to your meal.
Breakfast burrito — Start your day off with a hearty breakfast burrito. The protein and fiber in this burrito will give you lots of energy and help you maintain a healthy weight.