Basic Stir Fry
English | español
Turn chicken and fresh or frozen vegetables into a delicious stir fry. Try different cuts of meat, vegetables, or seasonings to create the best dish for your family.
Number of Servings: 8
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
4 cloves garlic, chopped, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, or 1 tablespoon grated or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
Optional: 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2-3 tablespoons canola oil
8 cups fresh or frozen vegetables, chopped
Cooked brown rice
Time needed: 30 minutes preparation; 20 minutes cook time
- Mix the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar (if using) and vinegar together in a large bowl. Add the cut chicken to the bow. Stir to cover the chicken in the sauce. Place bowl in refrigerator to marinate.
- Mix the cold water with the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons oil in a large pan or wok. Add the marinated chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add leftover marinade and continue to stir fry until the chicken is cooked through. Move chicken to a clean plate or bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add vegetables in order of firmness — add the softest or most tender last. Stir fry each vegetable for about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the chicken into the vegetables in the pan. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over warm brown rice.
|Total Fat:||5.1 g|
|Saturated Fat:||0.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||39.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||8.9 g|
|Total Sugar:||7.4 g|
Tips and Variations
Try other cuts of meat such as chicken thighs, pork, or beef.
Fresh or frozen vegetables can include carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, snow peas, or cabbage.
Experiment with other spices and sauces to suit your own tastes.
Stir fry is a great way to get children or adults to try a new vegetable.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Brown Rice With Sizzling Chicken and Vegetables — Cook yourself up a batch of this easy chicken and vegetable stir fry. It's a great way to use vegetables you have on hand or what is in season.
Easy Cabbage and Egg Stir Fry — Fry up this meatless dish when cabbage and carrots are plentiful. It’s easy and quick to make.