Bake apples in the oven or microwave for a tasty treat. You can make them individually or double (or triple) the recipe for more servings.
Number of Servings: 1
Serving Size: 1 apple
1 medium apple
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
Time needed: 5-10 minutes preparation; 3-4 minutes cook time
- Skin and core the apple, leaving the bottom intact.
- In a bowl, mix sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Spoon the mixture into the apple and set butter on top.
- Place in a microwavable dish and cover. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Let the apple sit for 2 minutes before serving.
|Total Fat:||5 g|
|Saturated Fat:||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrates:||35 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||5 g|
|Total Sugar:||28 g|
Tips and Variations
To bake the apples in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 of the original recipe.
- Place apples in baking pan.
- Pour water into the pan until it reaches about 1/2 inch up the sides of the apples.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Festive Microwave Baked Apples (no date; What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Applesauce — Whip up a batch of applesauce today. Making homemade applesauce is easier than you think!
Apple Waldorf Salad — Make yourself this classic fruit-vegetable-nut salad. It's refreshing any time of the year.