Extension > Family > Health and Nutrition > Signature Programs and Special Projects > Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) > Educational Offerings > Cooking Matters® for Adults
Cooking Matters® for Adults
Cooking Matters® for Adults is an educational program that teaches adults how to shop for healthy foods and prepare delicious, nutritious meals on a limited budget.
This program will help participants learn the principles of the United States Department of Agriculture’s MyPlate dietary guidelines. In addition, participants will learn how to:
- Shop for fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Cook lean and low-fat foods, including meats, beans, and dairy foods.
- Make the most of meals through meal planning, substituting healthy flavorings for salt, and other strategies.
- “Shop smart” by reading food labels, comparing unit prices, storing foods safely, and other strategies.
- Develop a “recipe for success” in healthy living, including eating healthy foods and engaging in regular physical activity.
Space and Time Requirements
This program consists of six, weekly 2-hour workshops. Sessions can be adapted to meet the learning needs of participants, and within reason to fit the space and time needs of the partnering agency.
Each week Cooking Matters® for Adults participants observe a cooking demonstration, and then break into small groups to prepare the same recipe. Sessions also include a nutritional overview of the foods just prepared, and each participant takes home the recipe and a bag of groceries in order to practice at home.
To find out more about this program or explore the possibilities of this program being offered at your agency, complete this Hosting Cooking Matters® Minnesota form.
Cooking Matters® Minnesota — Hands-on, cooking-based nutrition education programs that help low-income families prepare healthy meals.
Eat Smart — Support your family's health with the foods you eat.