Carrot > Root > Depressions
1 of 3
- Random, dark elongated cavities run across the width of the carrot root
- Lesions start as small black shallow depressions and enlarge as the carrot matures
- Leaves show no symptoms
- More information on Cavity Spot...
2 of 3
Pythium root dieback
- Horizontal lesions (1/10 cm to 1 cm) may appear on the surface of the root
- Carrot root is short stunted and may be forked or misshapen
- Carrot top may yellow and wilt if root damage is severe
- Common in heavy wet soils and organic soils
- More information on Pythium root dieback...
3 of 3
Bacterial soft rot
Erwinia carotovora subsp. Carotovora
- Rotted sections of the root may dissolve into liquid when carrots are pulled
- Dark sunken, soft mushy cavities may form in the root
- Eventually part or all of the root becomes soft, watery, and slimy
- When root damage is severe, leaves turn yellow and wilt
- A foul odor may be present with the rot
- Common in very wet heavy soils
- More information on Bacterial soft rot...