Do you qualify for a reduced fee?
Minnesota law (Minnesota Statute 518.157, subd. 6) requires us to offer options for a fee waiver, or reduced fee, for mandated divorce education. We worked with the Minnesota Supreme Court to determine the eligibility guidelines.
You qualify to take the course for free if the following applies to you:
- You have been given a court order granting you in forma pauperis (IFP). See What is a Fee Waiver (In Forma Pauperis)? on the Minnesota Supreme Court Website. To register free of charge for the online course, submit a copy of your IFP court order with your reduced fee application: Applying for a Reduced Fee.
You qualify to take the course at a reduced fee if one of the following applies to you:
- Minnesota Family Investment Fund (MFIP)
- MFIP-Emergency Assistance
- MFIP-Diversionary Assistance
- General Assistance or Emergency General Assistance
- Medical Assistance or General Assistance Medical Care
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income
- Minnesota Supplemental Assistance (MSA) or MSA-Emergency Assistance
- Energy Assistance
To receive the reduced fee, submit documentation of your enrollment in one or more of these programs in with your reduced fee application: Applying for a Reduced Fee.
- You receive legal services on behalf of a volunteer attorney or civil legal services program. To receive the reduced fee, submit copy of a letter on letterhead, documenting you are receiving these services with your reduced fee application: Applying for a Reduced Fee.
- Your annual family income before taxes is less than 125% of the Poverty Income Guidelines for a family your size. To receive the reduced fee, submit a copy of your filed 1040 or 1040EZ tax form from last year with your reduced fee application: Applying for a Reduced Fee.
The waived fee for IFPs is standard across all Parents Forever™ courses, including our online course, in Minnesota.
Please note that while the policy and process on fee reduction is also standard, the exact registration price at the reduced-fee level varies by program. Each in-person program sets their own reduced fee amount to account for the individual expenses of that program. For example, the Parents Forever™ online course for parents reduced fee is $29 because there are minimal day-to-day expenses associate with the online course. An in-person program, however, that needs to pay for facilitators' time and other expenses may have a higher reduced fee. Check with the contact for your local program, listed on the In-Person Course page, to get the rates for the in-person program you are interested in.
In-Person Course — Explore available Parents Forever™ courses in Minnesota and find one near you.