Breakfast Egg Burrito
Make a large batch of these burritos and freeze them for a quick, satisfying mid-week breakfast. This burrito will help your kids start their school day out right!
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 burrito
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 15 1/2-ounce can black beans, no salt added
3 green onions, sliced
1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium clove garlic, minced (chopped finely)
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 large eggs
Non-stick cooking spray
Optional: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
4 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
Optional: 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
Time needed: 20 minutes preparation; 10 minutes cook time
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add beans, green onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook until peppers are soft, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and the black pepper. Transfer mixture to a plate.
- In a small bowl, crack eggs. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Beat mixture lightly with a fork.
- Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Coat with non-stick cooking spray. Heat at medium-low. Add egg mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are firm, about 3–5 minutes. If using cilantro, add now.
- Spoon egg mixture into the center of each tortilla, dividing evenly. Add beans and veggies.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. If using yogurt, add a dollop to each tortilla.
- Fold tortilla over the mixture and serve.
|Total Fat:||9 g|
|Saturated Fat:||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||45 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||9 g|
|Total Sugar:||3 g|
Allergens: Wheat, egg, dairy, soy (see cooking spray label ingredients)
Tips and Variations
Make cooked black beans from scratch to save money. Follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas.
Serve with salsa or fresh pico de gallo.
This was adapted from Cooking Matters®’s Hearty Egg Burritos (no date; Share Our Strength).
Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas (PDF) — Save money and time by preparing your own dried beans and peas.
How to Wrap Sandwiches (PDF) — Get instructions for how to wrap a burrito and other 5 styles of wraps.
Breakfast Burrito — Start your day off with a hearty breakfast burrito. The protein and fiber in this burrito will give you lots of energy and help you maintain a healthy weight.
Colorful Fruit Salad — Mix up a fruit salad to fit any tastes, mood, or celebration. Eating foods of different colors is the healthy choice!