Baked Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Bake yourself a pan of delicious homemade enchiladas. You can get it on your dinner table in less than an hour.
Number of Servings: 8
Serving Size: 1 enchilada
1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 12-ounce can black beans (low sodium), drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup salsa
8 whole wheat tortillas
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Nonstick cooking spray
Time needed: 15 minutes preparation; 30 minutes cook time
- Cut each chicken breast into 4 chunks. Simmer in a large saucepan with water and chili powder. Cook until internal temperature is 165 degrees F, about 10 minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan. Cut or shred into small chunks and return to pan.
- Add beans, corn, and salsa to chicken. Cook until hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup of chicken mixture on the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam-side down in greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Spread any leftover chicken mixture over the top of tortillas.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle cheese on top of the enchiladas and bake for 5 more minutes
|Total Fat:||5 g|
|Saturated Fat:||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||6 g|
|Total Sugar:||2 g|
Wheat, dairy, soy (check cooking spray label ingredients)
Tips and Variations
Children can help with measuring out and mixing the ingredients, or filling and rolling the tortillas.
Adjust the amount of chili powder to taste preference.
To make your own cooked black beans from dried beans, follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dried Beans and Whole Dried Peas.
This was inspired by the United States Department of Agriculture's Enchilada Bake (no date; What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas (PDF) — Save money and time by preparing your own dried beans and peas.
Instant Spanish Rice — Cook Spanish rice with instant brown rice. It will cut down on your cooking time and add additional health benefits (and flavor) to your meal.
Pinto Beans Beef Tacos — Use a savory combination of beans, beef, and seasonings for a delicious taco filling. This recipe serves 12...think about trying it at your next family gathering!