About Steven: A Children’s Mental Health Case Study About Depression
The About Steven case study is an interactive, web-based tool to train people to respond effectively to a child’s growing mental health needs. The case study focuses on a young Caucasian family and their son Steven from his infancy through adolescence
By completing the About Steven case study, participants will:
- Use research in making practice decisions regarding infant and early childhood mental health.
- Examine the needs of children from an interdisciplinary perspective and think holistically about working with other providers to serve children.
- Recognize the importance of prevention and early intervention in children’s mental health.
- Apply ecological and developmental perspectives to children’s mental health.
- Predict probable outcomes for children based on services they receive.
This case includes eleven sections, each with case story content, questions, critical learning components, and links to research.
This case study has been incorporated into courses and trainings related to child welfare, education, nursing, psychology, public health, social work, psychiatry, medicine, and other disciplines.
What Others Are Saying
Evaluation data has been collected from instructors, trainers, and users for the past ten years.
Feedback from Instructors and Trainers
“We love this case because it provides information at each major stage and it allows the students to see the developmental progression, and explore the supports and risk factors”
“I really like the format. Nice way to look at the whole situation.”
“I am currently developing an education module for school nurses to increase their awareness of teenage depression and teach them how to use the PHQ-9 as a screening tool.”
“Everyone was really engaged in the discussion. It was fun to hear the discussion again this year with a really different group of fellows!”
Feedback from Participants
“The real-life information presented in this seminar series was incredibly helpful when thinking about the mental health of young people. I appreciated that we focused on one aspect of public health, so we could really dig deep into it. Our discussions were engaging and thought-provoking.”
“Solid case study as a way to discuss depression in pediatric and adolescent populations. Appreciated the interdisciplinary approach.”
“[This module] has been one of the few opportunities where we have been able to have interdisciplinary conversations, where each of us brings to the table their own trainings”.
“Interdisciplinary research is critical to seeing the various players in the lives of young people; great to think about how each profession has a separate role.”
“Very applicable! These are situations that I encounter in my clinical work regularly. I found the discussion insightful for how to approach my practice in a new way.”
“[The course discussions] pushed me to think of framework of mental health in a new way.”
Integrating this Case Study into Courses or Trainings
The About Steven case study has being widely used in graduate and undergraduate level courses and many practice settings. It is designed to supplement existing course curricula. Instructors and trainers have used the case effectively by:
- Assigning the entire case to a class or group at one time or in sections, followed by in-person discussion and exploration of the issues in the case.
- Completing the case as a group, with users answering questions and discussing themes and ideas within each section together.
- Focusing on a specific theme present in the case that is pertinent to your work or setting — using this as a launching point for deeper study.
- Creating writing, research, or presentation assignments based on specific sections of course content.
- Collaborating with other instructors to hold interdisciplinary discussions about the case.
How do I get started?
Make sure your computer is ready to access the case study. See Is My Computer Ready to Take the Course?
You can then access the case study.
Have questions or comments about this case study? Contact Us now.
After you have completed the case study, please complete our evaluation.
- Instructor Evaluation — for those leading classes or other groups through the case study
- Participant Evaluation — for those going through the case study independently or as a member of a larger group
Help...I'm Having Problems with this Online Course — Correct most of common issues you may experience in an online course with these easy-to-follow steps.
Brianna and Tanya: A Case Study About Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health — Explore this case study which focuses on a young African American mother, her daughter from infancy through kindergarten, and the many influences on their lives.