Youth Work Matters Online
The Youth Work Matters Online course takes an in-depth exploration into the foundational research and theories of positive youth development. It allows participants to interact with and learn from other youth development professionals. Activities include both synchronized group time and individual exploration. The course covers three aspects of youth work:
- The Field of Youth Development (Modules 1 & 2)
- How to Support Youth Needs (Modules 3 & 4)
- Your Role as a Youth Worker (Module 5)
The content comes from real youth work experience and research-based material.
How it works:
Each week a new set of modules will be available for you to complete and will be open 24 hours a day. Setting aside time to work through course content each week is essential to this learning environment. Although the activities in each module (pre-recorded presentation, discussion boards, readings, etc.) can be completed "on your own time", it is expected that all participants are keeping up with the content for the appropriate week. You are encouraged to plan ahead and designate time for the course on your calendar (3-4 hours total, but is not required to be completed in one block of time).
There are also opportunities to learn together as a group during 3 live webinars. Note: All webinars are recorded in case you need to miss one.
Both interactive and self-paced learning will be experienced by:
- Interacting with module presentations.
- Participating in live webinars.
- Engaging in discussion boards with other youth workers.
- Exploring articles, videos and websites supporting course content.
- Jan. 30 - Feb. 5: Course introduction
- Feb. 6 - 12: Module 1 - The Field of Youth Development and Module 2 - Knowing Youth in Context
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 10 - 11 a.m. (CT) - Course Introduction live webinar
- Feb. 13 - 19: Module 3 - Supporting Youth Needs and Module 4 - Intentional Program Design
- Wednesday, Feb. 15, 10 a.m. - noon (CT) - Intentional Program Design live webinar
- Feb. 20 - 27: Module 5 - A Role Like No Other
- Wednesday, Feb. 22, 10 a.m. - noon (CT) - Your Role as an Evaluator in Youth Programs live webinar
What you’ll have when you walk away:
- A working understanding of how to weave positive youth development into your practice with youth.
- An understanding of how positive youth development reframes how we work with young people.
- Knowledge gained from networking with a cohort of other youth workers.
- High-speed Internet
- Current version of Flash Player
- Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Computer Speakers
- Web Cam
Who should attend: Direct service providers, part-time staff and volunteers
Monday, Jan. 30 - Monday, Feb. 27, 2017
Webinars: Feb. 8, 15 and 22
Registration coming soon!
People who have taken this course say:
"Where do I start? This course has given me the language/skills/tools to intentionally develop programming that keeps the young people central and to intentionally enhance dual learning between adults and youth with process, dialogue, and decision making."
"This workshop made me take a look back in many different ways on how I interact and how I can work with youth. I think it helped me open up and see youth in a different perspective by making me remember what it was like to be young again. I also thought there were a few great pieces on working with adults and thinking about how we can program differently. It moves me from assuming the responsibility of having to plan activities/programs in order to provide opportunities for the youth to experience leadership (service). One obstacle to overcome is the emphasis that has been put on numbers. So much pressure has been put on 4-H PCs to grow the program in this way. I will be more intentional about selling "quality" to the stakeholders rather than "quantity". There is a risk in this, but if we don't take it, we are doing a disservice to the youth and the stakeholders, because we will not produce the results that we are claiming."