Youth Work Matters Online
Exploring the research behind positive youth development is critical to how we think about and work with young people. In this class you will create resources and learn skills to help you work with young people. The content comes from a combination of real youth work experience and research-based material. This includes the approach to positive youth development, basic youth needs, ecological context, high quality programming, and youth worker expertise. Activities include both synchronized group time and individual learning. The course covers three aspects of youth work:
- The Field of Youth Development (Modules 1 & 2)
- How to Support Youth Needs (Modules 3 & 4)
- Your Role as a Youth Worker (Module 5)
How it works:
Each week a new set of modules will be available and open 24 hours a day. Setting aside time to work through the course each week is required (3-4 hours total, but doesn't have to be completed in one block of time). Although the activities in each module (pre-recorded presentation, discussion boards, readings, etc.) can be completed "on your own time", it is expected that all participants keep up with the content for the appropriate week.
There are also opportunities to learn together as a group during 3 live webinars. Note: All webinars are recorded.
Participants can expect to:
- Interact with module presentations.
- Participate in live webinars.
- Engage in discussion boards with other youth workers.
- Explore articles, videos and websites.
- Jan. 30 - Feb. 5: Course introduction
- Feb. 6 - 12: Module 1 - The Field of Youth Development and Module 2 - Knowing Youth in Context
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 8 - 9 a.m. OR 11 a.m. - noon (CT) - Course Introduction live webinar
- Feb. 13 - 19: Module 3 - Supporting Youth Needs and Module 4 - Intentional Program Design
- Wednesday, Feb. 15, 8 - 9: 30 a.m. OR 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (CT) - Intentional Program Design live webinar
- Feb. 20 - 27: Module 5 - A Role Like No Other
- Wednesday, Feb. 22, 8 - 9: 30 a.m. OR 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (CT) - Your Role as an Evaluator in Youth Programs live webinar
What you’ll have when you walk away:
- An understanding of the research behind positive youth development.
- Knowledge about how positive youth development changes the way we work with young people.
- Knowledge from networking with a group of other youth workers.
- High-speed Internet
- Current version of Flash Player
- Mozilla Firefox browser
- Computer speakers
- Web cam
Who should attend: Direct service providers, part-time staff and volunteers
Monday, Jan. 30 - Monday, Feb. 27, 2017
Webinars: Feb. 8, 15 and 22
People who have taken this course say:
"Where do I start? This course has given me the language/skills/tools to intentionally develop programming that keeps the young people central and to intentionally enhance dual learning between adults and youth with process, dialogue, and decision making."
"This workshop made me take a look back in many different ways on how I interact and how I can work with youth. I think it helped me open up and see youth in a different perspective by making me remember what it was like to be young again. I also thought there were a few great pieces on working with adults and thinking about how we can program differently. It moves me from assuming the responsibility of having to plan activities/programs in order to provide opportunities for the youth to experience leadership (service). One obstacle to overcome is the emphasis that has been put on numbers. So much pressure has been put on 4-H PCs to grow the program in this way. I will be more intentional about selling "quality" to the stakeholders rather than "quantity". There is a risk in this, but if we don't take it, we are doing a disservice to the youth and the stakeholders, because we will not produce the results that we are claiming."