Mapping Social and Emotional Learning in Youth Programs
This advanced workshop is designed for program leaders ready to develop a deeper understanding of how their program aligns with social and emotional skill building. Programs designed for social emotional learning have parallel cycles. They have a program cycle that describes an activity, ongoing project, or goal that youth work towards. They also have a social emotional learning cycle that describes the skills youth need to develop organization, deal with challenges, and succeed in the program.
Through opportunities for reflection, working together with peers, and coaching from instructors, this workshop will provide participants with tools to describe how and why their program supports social emotional skill development.
How it works
- Work with a team to visually map your program design and SEL cycle.
- Engage in small group coaching and peer-to-peer feedback.
- Connect 1:1 with facilitators to talk about your program.
What you’ll have when you walk away
- A visual "map" that describes your program design.
- A parallel "map" that describes your program's SEL cycle.
- Tools to help you explain to stakeholders how and why your program supports SEL.
- A customized action plan to guide your program's next steps.
Date and location
Thursday, Sept. 27
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Cost: $60 per person.
(Lunch is not included.)
We recommend that organizations send teams of 2 or 3 staff members to this training.
University of Minnesota St. Paul Campus
Coffey Hall 120
1420 Eckles Ave., St. Paul
Registration deadline is Sept. 20.
Who should attend
Teams of program leaders, managers, coordinators and direct service providers who have previously attended SEL in Practice or have a solid understanding of SEL basics. We encourage teams of 2-3 to register together.
People who have taken this course say:
"It was very helpful for gaining a new perspective on our program sequence and where our kids are already practicing SEL skills in our program. It was also very useful to create a new visual tool that represents our offering."
"This workshop gives you an opportunity to re-evaluate and re-assess what you currently are doing."