Leadership Matters Online
This online class takes an in-depth exploration into the key issues in supervision and leadership of youth work organizations. Online activities include both synchronized group time and individual self-paced learning.
Over the course of a month, participants can expect to spend an average of 5 hours/week, up to 20 hours total. Setting aside intentional time devoted to online work is required to have the full professional development experience.
Participants will engage with an online community to:
- Develop your supervision practice,
- Assess your management and supervision style,
- Develop a peer network and sense of intentionality about your work.
This online course is designed and delivered as a cohort-based, professional development opportunity in which the participants learn, apply and share the information together. Participants work through the same material (2-3 modules) each week as a group. This includes live (same time) webinar experiences and pre-recorded presentations, forum discussions, etc that are completed on their own time during that week. There is an expectation of completing 2-3 modules and interacting with the coinciding forum discussions and activities as outlined by the course schedule on a weekly basis. This is different than an asynchronous, self-paced course that you experience individually on your own time, without interaction with others.
Both interactive and self-paced learning will be experienced by:
- Interacting with session presentations
- Participating in live webinars
- Engaging in forum discussions
- Exploring relevant articles, videos and websites
- Context for Youth Work Supervision
- Leadership vs. Management
- Strengths Based Leadership
- Professionalizing Youth Work
- Core Competencies for Youth Workers and Youth Work Supervisors
- Action Plan
- High-speed Internet Access
- Current version of Flash Player
- Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser
- Computer Speakers
- Live webinars will be conducted on a WebEx platform.
Who should attend: Managers/supervisors and volunteer coordinators
Feb. 9 - March 9, 2017
Introductory week: Feb. 9 - 15, 2017
Course content: Feb. 16 - March 2, 2017
Live webinars: Thursdays Feb. 16, 23 and March 2 from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. (CST)
Course closes March 9, 2017
Participants must purchase the book, Strengths Based Leadership (available in bookstores and online retailers) before the class begins and do the Strengths Finder assessment that will be a key portion of the course. (The book comes with a code for taking an online assessment. The code can be used only once. Do not purchase a used copy of the book unless you know assessment code has not been used.)
To request this course, contact us.