Leadership Matters Online
This online class explores supervision and leadership issues in youth work organizations. Online activities include synchronized group time and self-paced learning.
How it works:
Over the course of a month, participants can expect to spend an average of 5 hours/week, up to 20 hours total. Setting aside time for online work is required to have the full professional development experience.
Each week a new set of modules will be available and open 24 hours a day. Although the activities in each module (pre-recorded presentation, discussion boards, readings, etc.) can be completed "on your own time", it is expected that all participants keep up with the content for the appropriate week.
There are also opportunities to learn together as a group during 3 live webinars. Note: All webinars are recorded.
Participants can expect to:
- Develop their supervision practice.
- Assess their own management and supervision styles.
- Develop a peer network and sense of intentionality about your work.
- Interact with module presentations.
- Participate in live webinars.
- Engage in discussion boards with other youth workers.
- Explore articles, videos and websites.
- Context for Youth Work Supervision
- Leadership vs. Management
- Strengths Based Leadership
- Professionalizing Youth Work
- Core Competencies for Youth Workers and Youth Work Supervisors
- Action Plan
- High-speed Internet access
- Current version of Flash Player
- Mozilla Firefox Internet browser
- Computer speakers
- Live webinars will be conducted on a WebEx platform.
Who should attend:Managers/supervisors and volunteer coordinators
Participants must purchase the book, Strengths Based Leadership (available in bookstores and online retailers) before the class begins and do the Strengths Finder assessment that will be a key portion of the course. (The book comes with a code for taking an online assessment. The code can be used only once. Do not purchase a used copy of the book unless you know assessment code has not been used.)
People who took this course say:
"This course is great to get you critically thinking about being a youth work supervisor when there is very little out there on it."
"Thank you for a great session! I loved connecting with folks in different geographic areas and working with different types of organizations. I also appreciated the different resources you provided, especially around professionalizing the field."
"I'm glad there was a something to help me transition into my new role as manager."