Dilemmas in Youth Work Online
Youth workers face challenging situations that require them to address multiple, often competing considerations in their daily work with young people. In this foundational online class, dig into the sticky challenges and issues of youth work and examine various ways to respond to real-life dilemmas of everyday practice. Online activities include both synchronized group time and individual self-paced learning.
Participants will engage with an online community to:
- Explore dilemmas identified by youth workers in a national research study.
- Get to know the most current research on youth worker expertise.
- Work together with peers to develop strategies for addressing dilemmas in your work that better meet the developmental needs of youth.
- Develop practical preparation for facing challenging situations.
- Increase competence in responding to dilemmas in youth-centered ways.
This online course is designed and delivered as a cohort-based, professional development opportunity in which the participants learn, apply and share the information together. Participants work through the same material (2-3 modules) each week as a group. This includes live (same time) webinar experiences and pre-recorded presentations, forum discussions, etc that are completed on their own time during that week. There is an expectation of completing 2-3 modules and interacting with the coinciding forum discussions and activities as outlined by the course schedule on a weekly basis. This is different than an asynchronous, self-paced course that you experience individually on your own time, without interaction with others.
Both interactive and self-paced learning will be experienced by:
- Interacting with session presentations
- Participating in live webinars
- Engaging in forum discussions
- Exploring relevant articles, videos and websites
- High-speed Internet Access
- Current version of Flash Player
- Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser
- Computer Speakers
Who should attend: Direct service providers
Contact: Kate Walker
To request this course, contact us.