The Better World Film Festival
Learn how to shoot and edit short films with your smartphone!
Make a 3-5 minute film that shows your vision of a better world
Sign up now! Choose the session that suits you. Limit: 20 youth per session
NOTE: Please register using the youth's own name (not parent's name).Sign up
April 7-May 19
Sept 29-Nov 10
June 16-July 28
Jan 5-Feb 16, 2018
Who can join
Anyone in grade 5-8/age 10-14
What you’ll learn and do
- Video and audio recording and editing basics
- How to run a video shoot with a crew
- Share videos and chat online with other 4-H’ers
- Make a short film that you can enter into your county fair
- You may win prizes for showing your skills!
Your online guide
Jalil Shabazz, a Twin Cities film maker, audio producer and Urban 4-H staff member, will lead the group conversation and answer questions.
What you’ll need
- A smartphone or tablet with a video camera and enough memory to hold a 5-minute video and an editing app. (We suggest 4GB)
- A wifi or 3G connection that’s good enough to upload a five-minute video to a cloud location (we’ll provide the cloud storage). We suggest you test your upload speeds at home or in the local library or school before joining the course.
- There will be nothing else to buy unless you choose to.
$60. Scholarships are available. Just ask Melissa Pierce, 612-624-7139
More details about this adventure
You will have two weeks to complete each level on your own schedule – no face-to-face meetings or appointments. You'll share your videos with others and give each other feedback. 2-4 hours of activities per week will include:
You'll be able to do everything on your smartphone or tablet, including editing your film.
Level 1: Pre-production (weeks 1-2)
- What story do you want to tell?
- Film genres
- Types of shots
- Storyboarding and shot lists
- Workshopping with other 4-H’ers
Level 2: Production (weeks 3-4)
- Managing your shoot
- Getting good sound
Level 3: Post-production (weeks 5-6)
- Background music and B-roll
- Editing it all together
- Keeping it legal
- Watch and critique each other’s films
You will have the chance to win a prize for completing levels 1 and 2. All films that complete Level 3 will be shown in the Better World Film Festival on the Minnesota 4-H Youtube channel and in the 4-H Building during the Minnesota State Fair. You may also choose to enter it into your county fair.
Questions about registrations or scholarships: Contact Melissa Pierce, 612-624-7139Sign up