Important project information:
Minnesota 4-H Western Heritage is not a project, but an activity to help youth explore and preserve Western Heritage. As you move through the program, you will explore our Western Heritage and develop an appreciation for it; learn to balance competition and education; learn safety skills; develop tools of sportsmanship and realistic goal setting; and have fun. You need not be enrolled in the Horse project to participate but you must be enrolled in 4-H by the enrollment deadline. 4-H horse ID forms and negative Coggins papers are required on all horses participating.
Participants must attend a safety clinic (put on by a MN 4-H certified instructor). The regional Western Heritage events are held throughout Minnesota, giving you the opportunity for additional competition and experience. You may participate in one regional event of your choice each year. Top-placing participants in grade 6 and older will qualify for the state Western Heritage event. Western Heritage is an activity, not a show class. Qualification in Western Heritage does not enable youth to compete in show classes.
Grade eligibility for regional and state events:
- Junior: Completed grade 4 or 5 (regional only)
- Intermediate: Completed grades 6-8
- Senior: Completed grade 9 to one year beyond grade 12
Horse identification papers must be submitted with regional entries
- Animal science ID requirements and processes
- Western Heritage workbook (PDF)
- Western Heritage contacts (PDF) (Updated Jan. 29, 2014)
- Calendar (PDF) (Updated Feb. 26, 2014) (Includes: informational meetings, safety clinics (no clinics after July 1), open events, regional competitions)
- May 10, 2014 — Hawley Rodeo Grounds, 10 a.m.
- May 10-11, 2014 — BMW Stables, Isanti, 10 a.m.
- May 18, 2014 — Al Jones Arena, Pipestone
- June 13-14, 2014 —RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids, 10 a.m.
- June 27-28, 2014 —RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids, 10 a.m.
- July 19, 2014 — Southwest Region - Al Jones Arena, Pipestone
- July 26, 2014 — Northwest Region - Hawley Rodeo Grounds
- Aug. 3, 2014 — Southeast Region - Summit Ranch, Rushford
- Aug. 4, 2014 — Northeast Region - RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids
Regional entries are due by July 7, 2014. No late entries will be accepted. Entry form. (Posted March 6, 2014)
Events this year will be: Break away, team roping, goat tying, round pen roping and pen to pen sorting.
- August 16-17, 2014 — Wright County Fairgrounds / Howard Lake, MN
(State committee meeting follows competition on Saturday)
Judges / instructor certification
- October 4, 2014 — RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids, 11 a.m.
Contact Becky or Daryl for more info at 320-259-9539