Minnesota 4-H news
4-H club collects over 500 toys for Toys for Tots program
(December 2014, Chisago County Press) The Soaring Eagles 4-H club collected over 500 toys and stuffed animals for the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program, which fulfilled this year's goal. Master Sergeant Crismon and Sergeant Hatfield visited the 4-Hers, parents, and grandparents at their Dec. 4 meeting at the Scandia Community Center, and shared information about the Toys for Tots program and its impact on children who otherwise would not have received toys this Christmas.
The Soaring Eagles 4-H club has members from Chisago, Washington, and Ramsey Counties in Minnesota; and Polk County in Wisconsin; and all the families homeschool their children.
4-H opens new doors
(October 2014, Source magazine) Youth across Minnesota, from families who have been a part of Extension 4-H for generations to first-generation 4-H'ers, are engaging in 4-H in new and vibrant ways. Today, 4-H programs are as diverse as the interests of the youth they serve.
Krista Lautenschlager, 4-H program coordinator in Kandiyohi County, has witnessed Minnesota's changing demographics right in her own community. "I also noticed that many youth from the growing immigrant population didn't attend quality youth programs," she says.
That had to change.
Youth come together to create radio programming
(August 2014, Brittany Lynch) KFAI radio in Minneapolis, Urban 4-H, and YouthCARE came together to create The Fresh Air Institute (FAI), a young voices collaboration that allows youth from across the Twin Cities to be on the air. The summer Urban 4-H program coordinator Brittany Lynch, who also hosts KFAI's, Soul Tools Radio, led three groups of youth from 4-H and YouthCARE in creating radio programming at KFAI. They participated in community service projects, content development activities, and recording sessions to be broadcast on Aug. 12 for International Youth Day. This experience was called The Fresh Air Institute--the first of what we hope to be many summer capstone projects in cooperation with the KFAI radio station. After weeks of experiential learning in the studios, the FAI participants went live on the air to be interviewed about their experiences in the program. All of their pre-recorded content was aired on this day as well. FAI participants were involved in every step of their broadcasting process--from selecting music, to creating on-air personalities, to writing and editing their shows' content. Listen to the final product.
4-H in the media
- 4-H club collects over 500 toys for Toys for Tots program - Chisago County Press - Lindstrom, MN
- Waseca County News | Sommers of Waseca receives Farm Bureau Foundationís Extension Educator of the Year Award
- Finger Lakes Times | Benton woman receives national 4-H service award
- Waseca County News | Send a card to a Minnesota service person this holiday season with Waseca 4-H
- Agrinews | Marathon County wins National 4-H Livestock Quiz Bowl
- Bemidji Pioneer | 4-H NE Livestock Show
- Austin Daily Herald | 4-H lets horses join the Halloween fun
- Swift County Monitor News | Youth compete in 4-H Horse Show
- AgriNews.com | Families gather to show beef at Minnesota Beef Expo
- Owatonna Peoples Press | Steele County 4Hers succeed at the Minnesota State Fair