Minnesota 4-H news
Soaring Eagles 4-H Club receives outstanding Blue Ribbon Club Award
(March 2015, Forest Lake Times) Members of the Soaring Eagles 4-H Club received the Outstanding Blue Ribbon Club Award at the Minnesota 4-H Adult Volunteer Association’s annual conference held Feb. 19-21 in Willmar, Minnesota. The award was presented to the Soaring Eagles’ club leader, Ann Rinkenberger, at the awards ceremony at the Saturday luncheon. Of the eight clubs throughout Minnesota that received the Blue Ribbon Club Award for excellence in quality, youth-focused programming, the Soaring Eagles 4-H Club was chosen as the most outstanding club. This was an honor considering that the Soaring Eagles 4-H Club began in Oct. 2014, and hadn’t even had a full year of programming.
Youth teaching youth: High-schoolers teach Internet safety at elementary schools
(February 2015, Stillwater Gazette) Amy Peterson, 4-H program coordinator with in Washington County, organizes a program to protect Stillwater Area elementary students from some of the dangers of Internet use. The school district is teaming up with Washington County 4-H program, Youth Teaching Youth, to provide training to fourth and fifth graders about staying safe online. Peterson said the teachers have found the Internet safety program helpful for their students.
Backus woman makes a big difference for Cass County 4-Hers
(January 2015, Pine and Lakes Echo Journal) Barbara Frederick isn't your ordinary 4-H volunteer. She has made it her mission to make sure kids are able to participate in the Minnesota State Fair even if they can't afford it by creating the "Friends of 4-H" scholarship fund. For the past 2 years, money was raised by writing letters, fundraising and campaigning. Because of this scholarship, 50 4-Hers were able to go to the fair last year. Barbara has been a 4-H volunteer for 60 years and is hoping this scholarship will continue for years to come.
4-H in the media
- Waseca County News | GALLERY: Performing arts takes center stage at annual 4-H event
- WXOW Local News | Mayville Blue Ribbon Strivers 4-H Club starts new project
- Albert Lea Tribune | 4-H has youth targets and priorities
- AgriNews.com | Dodge County set to host Hoe Down
- Duluth News Tribune | 4-H volunteer honored for service
- Crow River Media | 4-H'ers to perform in Share the Fun show
- Pope County Tribune | 4-H provides adventures in creativity
- The Forest Lake Times | Soaring Eagles 4-H Club receives outstanding Blue Ribbon Club Award
- Farm Progress | passion is still there for ol' 4-Hers
- The Isanti County News | 4-H Club wraps up final touches for FIRST Robotics competition