Wetlands are important! They store water and help prevent flooding. Minnesota originally had 18.6 million acres of wetlands that provided water for birds, fish, and other wildlife. Only half of these wetlands remain. Learn about these ecosystems and how to protect water quality, and the lives that depend on the state's wetlands - including our own.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Shooting Sports & Wildlife instructors must be certified. This is a weekend training designed to cover the needed knowledge and rules to become a certified instructor in one discipline: Archery, Muzzle loading, Shotgun, Air Rifle/Air Pistol/.22 Rifle, Wildlife and Coordinator. It covers life skills, state regulations, and content skills needed for each of the six disciplines. More info.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
- Phosphorus: Transport to and Availability in Surface Waters
- Helpful Hydrogels (PDF)
- Environmental Science Career Guide (PDF)
- EYE (Exploring your Environment) curriculum - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Other online resources
- Project ideas and resources for exhibitors
(University of MN Extension)
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Fishing in Minnesota
(Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources)
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Parks & Trails TV - Minnesota
- MinnAqua DNR fishing education
- News from the University of Minnesota Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Biology
- Developmental stages of fish in 3D (University of Washington)
- Fish posters of the world
- American Sport Fishing Association
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- Groundwater Foundation
- North American Native Fishes Association
- American Fly Fishing Trade Association
- American Fisheries Society
- Take Me Fishing
(Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation)
- Fishing Fun
- Fish games and quizzes
- Minneapolis Parks and Recreation
- I can fish
Traveling Trash Trunks
Three 30-minute lessons focus on the topics of garbage, resource recovery, landfills, and groundwater. Traveling Trash Trunks are filled with curriculum ideas, hands-on activities, books, music, and videos. These interactive, comprehensive lessons are designed for youth ages 5-12. Trash Trunks are loaned out at no charge. Call Ramsey or Washington County to arrange to borrow a Trash Trunk.
Ramsey County: 1-651-266-1194
Washington County: 1-651-430-6655
To get involved with the 4-H Water/Wetlands Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.