Fishing Sports Project
Explore fishing in the Land of 10,000+ Lakes. Learn about fish species and habitats; experiment with fishing gear, baits and lures; tie knots, lines and flies; research fishing regulations; and explore careers related to fishing.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Shooting sports & wildlife instructors must be certified. This is a weekend training designed to cover the needed knowledge and rules to become a certified instructor in one discipline: Archery, Muzzle loading, Shotgun, Air Rifle/Air Pistol/.22 Rifle, Wildlife and Coordinator. It covers life skills, state regulations, and content skills needed for each of the six disciplines. More info.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Beginning to learn about fishing sports:
- Fishing for Adventures 1 - Take the Bait - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Some experience with this project:
- Fishing for Adventures 2 - Reel in the Fun - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
- Fishing for Adventures 3 - Cast Into The Future - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Other online resources
- Fishing in Minnesota
(Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources)
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Parks & Trails TV - Minnesota
- MinnAqua DNR fishing education
- News from the University of Minnesota Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Biology
- Colorado 4-H Sportfishing Library
- Developmental stages of fish in 3D (University of Washington)
- Fish posters of the world
- American Sport Fishing Association
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- North American Native Fishes Association
- American Fly Fishing Trade Association
- American Fisheries Society
- Take Me Fishing
(Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation)
- Fishing Fun
- Fish games and quizzes
- Minneapolis Parks and Recreation
- I can fish
To get involved with the 4-H Fishing Sports Project, contact your county 4-H staff.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.