Learn skills wood-workers use, such as measuring, squaring and cutting a board, sanding, drilling, and driving nails. Routers, joiners, table saws, tape measures, drills, sand paper and glue are some of the tools you will use to build projects of your choice.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Level 1 learning goals
Plan a woodworking project; name tools; identify woods and uses for soft and hard woods; identify safety hazards and uses of safety equipment; select the right joint; explain finishing steps.
Level 2 learning goals
Select tools for a job; organize tools by function; name safety equipment needed for a job; explore woodworking careers; measure and cut angles.
- Woodworking Wonders 2 - Making The Cut (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Eight types of wood joints - udemy blog
- Woodworking safety videos - from Fine Woodworking
Level 3 learning goals
Identify and select proper clamps and fasteners; explain clamping techniques; compare strengths of connections; draw and measure angles, and enlarge patterns; build a cutting board.
- Woodworking Wonders 3 - Nailing It Together (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Level 4 learning goals
Explore power tools and describe safety features and considerations when using them; identify and learn to make dovetail, mortise and tenon joints; explore exotic woods, veneers, inlays, overlays and finishing techniques.
- Woodworking Wonders- Finishing Up (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Welding Arcs & Sparks, The Ohio State University e-store 4-H curriculum book ($7.50, 75 pages)
- Basic Geometry - Khan Academy
- Safety Is a Major Welding Component - Welding safety module developed by Lincoln Electric
- Welding Connects Your World - Lincoln Electric online introductory arc welding course
More online resources
- Red Toolbox
- TLC Wood Crafts
- Lowes lumber buying guide - Learn about wood types, grades, definitions and defects
- Homes for Birds - U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, things to consider and plans for building a birdhouse
- Popular Mechanics magazine - woodworking projects and resources
- Popular Woodworking magazine
- Wood magazine
- Start Woodworking magazine
To get involved with the 4-H Shop project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.