How does electricity work? Build circuits and test voltages. Learn about wiring, lighting, safety issues, and more. Activities may include building a rocket launcher, burglar alarm, flashlight, compass, electromagnet or electric motor.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Level 1 learning goals:
Compare insulator materials; describe effects of magnets; build a compass and electromagnet; build a flashlight and an electric motor.
- Electricity 1 - Magic of Electricity Find this in the 4-H Mall
Level 2 learning goals:
Build circuits; test voltages; build a rocket launcher and a burglar alarm
- Electricity 2 - Investigation Electricity Find this in the 4-H Mall
Level 3 learning goals:
Measure electrical usage; describe how to safely replace an electrical switch; determine electrical loads; evaluate light bulbs; test for electrical power.
- Electricity 3 - Wired for Power Find this in the 4-H Mall
Level 4 learning goals:
Describe solid state electronics; differentiate between electric and electronic; identify symbols for electrical parts; differentiate between a resistor and a capacitor; define electrical/electronic terms;
- Electricity 4 - Entering Electronics Find this in the 4-H Mall
Other online resources
- Discover 4-H Planet Energy Clubs (Free)
Electricity curriculum plus five other energy club curricula available. Registration (is safe and) is required for download access.
- Electricity Excitement - Helper's Guide ($3.95 40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Electricity Excitement - Set of Five ($19.25 40 pages each) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.