Vegetable Gardening Project
Grow your own veggies! Discover how to plant, water, fertilize and manage weeds, insects and diseases in your vegetable garden. Learn how plants respond to light, make a worm box, freeze vegetables, make a compost, test and improve soil, and cross-pollinate flowers. Explore plant genetics, hydroponics and careers.
State & Regional Events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Vegetable Gardening Project resources
Beginning to learn about vegetable gardening:
- Gardening: Let's Get Growing - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- University of Minnesota gardening resources
- University of Minnesota plant diagnosis
Some experience with this project:
- Gardening: See Them Sprout - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
Project leader resources
- Gardening - Exhibit Guide - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Take Your Pick (44 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Gardening: (set of 6) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Junior Master Gardener Student Manual
- Junior Master Gardener Teacher/Leader Guide
- Junior Master Gardener Health and Nutrition from the Garden
- Garden Levels
Other online resources
4-H Youth record keeping
- Vegetable gardening evaluation sheet (45 K PDF)
To get involved with the 4-H Vegetable Gardening Project, contact your county 4-H office.