Clothing & Textiles Project
Have you ever dreamed about designing your own clothing? Learn the basics of sewing construction and how to make simple clothing and accessories. Develop skills in design and fashion illustration, business and marketing, technology in sewing, and learn about careers in the textile industry.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Participants judge five classes in the areas of Personal Care, Entertainment & Leisure, Clothing & Textiles, Consumerism & Personal Finance, and Nutrition. Participants also have a questions class where they recall facts about the items in a class. Intermediate participants (grades 6-8) present one set of reasons and senior participants (grades 9+) present two sets of reasons to a judge. More info.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Beginning to learn about clothing & textiles:
- Consumer Savvy 1 ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Let's Sew - A Beginner's Sewing Guide ($7.25 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Some experience with this project:
Looking for a challenge:
- Sewing Expressions - Refine Design - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Consumer Savvy 3 - Consumer Roadmap - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Design a Garment
Other online resources
- Clothing and Recycling
- Sewing Expressions - Helper's Guide ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Sewing Expressions -Set of 4 ($15.40 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Consumer Savvy - Helper's Guide ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Creating Textile Accessories
- Bag It! (142 KB)
- Casserole Carriers (1030 KB)
- Collage Banner (45 KB)
- Curling Iron Caddy (850 KB)
- Hair Ruffle (866 KB)
- Holes and More Holes (42 KB)
Project meeting outlines
- Affordable, Adorable Aprons (51 K PDF)
- Coordinating Colors and Patterns (10 K PDF)
- Fabric Differences(42 K PDF)
- Hats and Scarves (73 K PDF)
- Pinning and Cutting (64 K PDF)
- Sewing a Button (42 K PDF)
- Sewing a Hot pad (44 K PDF)
- Tote Bags (78 K PDF)
- Key Ring Holiday Ornament (306 KB)
- License to Drive (62 KB)
- Placemat Apron (345 KB)
- Potpourri Hot Pad (1850 KB)
- Puppet Party (134 KB)
- Quick Quilt Ornament Coaster (23 MB PDF)
- Soda Can Insulator (286 KB)
- Stitch It! (308 KB)
- Wheelchair Bag (730 KB)
- Sew 1 Certificate (515 K PDF)
- Sew 2 Certificate (516 K PDF)
- Sew 3 Certificate(515 K PDF)
- Sewing Medallion ($7.50 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
To get involved with the 4-H Clothing & Textiles project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.