Insects! Bugs! Pollinators! Little critters like butterflies, spiders, bees, dragonflies and many others make up more than one-third of all organisms on earth. In this project, you'll identify insects around you and how they contribute to our world, do experiments, research and learn about careers in entomology.
Copyright 2013 by the Regents of the University of Minnesota
A brief interview between a graduate assistant and D2D Youth research team member about their collaboration on an investigation of monarch response to microclimate temperature variation on milkweed.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Camp counselor training is designed to provide the skills and knowledge to be an effective camp counselor and leadership team member. Training topics include: role of camp counselor, theme and program development, recreation leadership, group facilitation, conflict resolution, outdoor environment and nature programming, and much more. More info
- Dates vary by county and region. Check with your county offices for dates and locations.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Level 1: Beginning to learn about entomology
Learn the body parts of insects and what they do, pest management, why studying insects is important and solving crimes using insects!
Level 2: Some experience with entomology
Learn about how to collect insects, the amazing diversity of insect types, and gain a deeper appreciation for insects.
- Entomology - Teaming with insects level 2 ($5.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- How to build a butterfly garden (PDF)
Level 3: Looking for a challenge
Learn about doing research and in-depth study of insects, the scientific method and record-keeping, invasive species and teaching others about entomology.
- Entomology - Teaming with insects level 3 ($4.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Butterfly WINGS Youth Guide ($7.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Beekeeping in Northern Climates: DVD and 2 manuals($47.50)
More online resources
- How to Make an Awesome Insect Collection (Purdue Extension)
- Bees and Beekeeping in Tennessee
- Entomological Society of America
- Urban Integrated Pest Management Kids Corner
- National Invasive Species Information Center
- National Pest Management Association
- BioKids Critter Catalog (University of Michigan)
To get involved with the 4-H Entomology Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.