Videography | 4-H online adventures
A hybrid experiential learning program for middle schoolers
Online communications is a 21st century skill. Youth who know how to make short videos can use them to persuade others, communicate their ideas, when applying for scholarships and in their future careers.
This curriculum package, developed by University of Minnesota faculty and industry experts, engages youth in bite-sized, scaffolded tasks. As with all of 4-H, youth learn life skills as they learn project skills. The theme, A Better World, invites them to think like leaders and about their futures.
Like all 4-H online adventures, participation requires no content expertise for participants or for adult facilitators. University of Minnesota staff help with technical set-up and with troubleshooting along the way. The online platform, Flipgrid, was developed at the U's Learning Technologies Media Lab and is used in schools around the world.
Six-week online curriculum package includes
- 2-4 hours of activities per week (total of 12-24 hours, depending on youth interest)
- 36 short and entertaining challenge videos
- Facilitator's guide
- Phone and e-mail support for facilitators
- Secure, password-protected environment
- Cloud storage for video footage
Youth will learn
- What's a film genre?
- Types of shots and what they're for
- How to get good sound
- Editing skills, such as transitions, pacing, adding music
- What does a film director do? Planning and running a shoot
- Youth who complete all of the activities will know how to plan, shoot and edit a 3-5 minute short film
- Youth programs with middle school-aged youth
- Youth interested in video, music videos, photography, film-making, communications
- Youth who want to make better presentations
Needed to participate
- Internet access
- For each youth, a video camera and simple video editing software, such as those on tablet devices
Contact: Ann Nordby
- $60 per youth / $1,000 per group (maximum 20 youth)
- No additional materials or software to buy
- Option to schedule 1-3 online sessions with a professional videographer-youth worker for Q&A, brainstorming video ideas, inspiration.
To request this curriculum package for your group, contact us.