Tell your story using photography! Learn about equipment basics, taking sharper pictures, lighting and flash techniques, photo composition, approaches, sequencing, and evaluating photographs. Use multiple cameras and even assemble a whole production team.
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Level 1 learning goals:
Learn the parts of a camera, what makes a good photograph, lighting, preparing a photo exhibit and more.
- Focus on Photography - Photography Level 1 (80 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Level 2 learning goals:
Understand types of shots like close-ups and landscapes, how to make your photo exhibit better, learn the elements of composition and technical aspects such as aperture, shutter speed, panning and more.
- Controlling the Image - Photography Level 2 (80 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Level 3 learning goals:
Use different camera lenses, filters and light sources. Explore visual patterns and color, including shooting reflections. Use the rule of third and use advanced equipment and formats.
- Mastering Photography - Photography Level 3 (80 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Other online resources
- 4-H Photo Curriculum Guide (set of 3) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- The 4-H Digital Photography Project
- Project Leader Resources/4-H Youth Development/Harper County
- Photography Leaders (PDF)
To get involved with the 4-H Photography Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.