Explore the sheep industry. Learn to raise and show purebred or crossbred yearling ewes, aged ewes or market lambs. Topics include budgeting, digestive systems, reproduction, genetics, lambing, ethics, marketing and careers. New to 4-H? Get involved in the Sheep Project!
What you can do
Level 1: Sheep 1 - Lambs, Rams & You
Learn how to select a lamb andcare properly for the animal.
Level 2: Sheep 2 - Shear Delight
Explore feed tags, management practices and delivering a lamb.
Level 3: Sheep 3 - Leading the Flock
Learn about judging, genetics and breeding plus career paths
Free curriculum from Utah State 4-H. Registration is required for download access.
- AnSci Updates for 2018 - posted Dec 21, 2017
- Animal science ID requirements and processes (ID worksheets, forms, etc.)
- Sheep information sheet - posted Dec 21, 2017
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species - posted Dec 21, 2017
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
- AKSARBEN Update for livestock families
Record keeping & evaluation
- 4-H youth record keeping - Reflect on your project and share it.
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Junior Level (PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Senior Level (PDF)
For adult leaders
- Sheep Safety & Quality Assurance Program Manual (American Sheep Industry Association)
- Wool fleece evaluation sheet (PDF)
- General Livestock (Beef, Sheep, Swine) Judging Reasons (PDF)
- Livestock Quality Assurance Training
- Minnesota 4-H Science of Animals
- 4-H Regional & State Project Bowls
- Minnesota State Fair
Be a youth livestock committee member
Be a youth livestock committee member. 3 youth project members will be selected for 1 year terms to help plan and organize the State Fair 4-H Sheep Project experience. Members must have extensive sheep project and leadership experience. Applicants must be 9th grade or older, eligible for next year's 4-H, currently enrolled in meat goat project, previously exhibited at MN State Fair and complete this application.- PDF - fillable version