There are many breeds of rabbits! Learn about breeding, handling, showing, health and disease, pedigrees, record keeping, marketing and careers. Be a good rabbit herdsman or train your rabbit in agility!
Important project information:
- AnSci Updates for 2015 - posted March 12, 2015
- Animal science ID requirements and processes (ID worksheets, forms, etc.)
- Rabbit information sheet
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
All youth participating as a State Fair 4-H livestock exhibitor in beef, dairy, sheep, swine, poultry, rabbit, meat and dairy goat, and lama must have completed the Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics workshop. Certification is good for three fair seasons. The level of training required is determined by the grade of the youth at the time the training takes place.
Dates and locations vary by county. Check this list for more information.
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Project Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More info
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Rabbit Project resources
Beginning to learn about rabbits:
- Rabbit 1 - What's Hoppening (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Some experience with this project:
- Rabbit 2 - Making Tracks (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
- Rabbit 3 - All Ears (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Learning resources for all levels:
- Rabbit Pattern Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Getting Started In The 4-H Rabbit Project (221 K PDF)
- Rabbit Cages and Hutches (38 K PDF)
- Feeding Your Rabbit (15 K PDF)
- Nutrition (119 K PDF)
- Rabbit Crossword Puzzle (87 K PDF)
- Rabbit Chart (303 K PDF) Best when printed at least 17" x 22"
- Having Baby Bunnies (162 K PDF)
- How to Tattoo A Rabbit (46 K PDF)
Project Leader Resources
- Rabbit - Helper's Guide (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Rabbit - Set of Four (40 pages each) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Exploring Farm Animals - Helper's Guide (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Rabbit Medallion Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Other online resources
- ARBA Official Guidebook to Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies (NOTE - There are two versions of this same reference. The correct version that will be used has the "Medical Management" Section written by Bob Whitman.)
4-H Youth record keeping
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Junior Level (26 K PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Senior Level (26 K PDF)
To get involved with the 4-H Rabbit Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.