Explore the poultry industry, including turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, guinea hens, pigeons or quail. Learn about species and breeds, eggs, feather features, health, feeding, handling, washing, managing a flock, ethics, showing and careers.
Important project information:
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
A Scholarship Program of Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump
- August 2013 - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul More info
All youth participating as a State Fair 4-H livestock exhibitor in beef, dairy, sheep, swine, poultry, rabbit, meat and dairy goat, and lama must have completed the Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics workshop. Certification is good for three fair seasons. The level of training required is determined by the grade of the youth at the time the training takes place.
Dates and locations vary by county. Check this list for more information.
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Project Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More info
Effectively evaluating breeding and market animals is highly important in the animal industry. Judging is an art developed through patient study and long practice. 4-Hers interested in Dairy, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horses, Poultry, and Rabbits can learn to be a good judge by knowing the parts of the animal and their location, which parts are most important for meat and breeding stock production, making keen observations and comparing to the ideal, weighing the good and bad points of each animal, and much more. More info
- Check with your county for local county judging contests.
- State Fair contest details in the State Fair Premium Book - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Poultry Project resources
Beginning to learn about poultry:
- Poultry 1 -Scratching the Surface (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Some experience with this project:
- Poultry 2 - Testing your Wings (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
- Poultry 3 - Flocking Together (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Learning resources for all levels:
Project leader resources
- Poultry - Helper's Guide (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Poultry - Set of Four (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Exploring Farm Animals - Helper's Guide (40 pages each) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Embryology in Classroom - 1 (40 pages ) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Embryology in Classroom - 2 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Embryology in Classroom - Set of 2 (40 pages each) Find this in the 4-H Mall.