Explore the poultry industry, including turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, guinea hens, pigeons or quail. Learn about species and breeds, eggs, feather features, health, feeding, handling, washing, managing a flock, ethics, showing and careers.
Important project information:
- AnSci Updates for 2015 - posted March 12, 2015
- Animal science ID requirements and processes - updated to reflect meat goat ID change March 11, 2015
- Poultry information sheet
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
- Minnesota Board of Animal Health - Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) Information for Youth Groups - posted April 13, 2015
- University of Minnesota: Extension Poultry, Avian Influenza Web page
- USDA Biosecurity for Birds Web page
- Minnesota Board of Animal Health Avian Influenza Web page
- Avian Influenza Biosecurity for Youth and 4-H Members (login as a guest) - posted April 13, 2015. This is a modular online learning course targeted for 4-Hers/students. They will gain important information about the avian influenza virus and ways to prevent the spread of disease.
For 4-H poultry exhibitors in 2015
County Fair Exhibits for 4-H Poultry Exhibitors in 2015 posted June 16, 2015
Exhibit Ideas for County Fairs - posted June 16, 2015
State Fair Poultry activities - agenda - posted beginning of July 2015
State Fair codes for registration - posted beginning of July 2015
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
A Scholarship Program of Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump
- August 2015 - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul More info
All youth participating as a State Fair 4-H livestock exhibitor in beef, dairy, sheep, swine, poultry, rabbit, meat and dairy goat, and lama must have completed the Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics workshop. Certification is good for three fair seasons. The level of training required is determined by the grade of the youth at the time the training takes place.
Dates and locations vary by county. Check this list for more information.
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Project Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More info
Effectively evaluating breeding and market animals is highly important in the animal industry. Judging is an art developed through patient study and long practice. 4-Hers interested in Dairy, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horses, Poultry, and Rabbits can learn to be a good judge by knowing the parts of the animal and their location, which parts are most important for meat and breeding stock production, making keen observations and comparing to the ideal, weighing the good and bad points of each animal, and much more. More info
- Check with your county for local county judging contests.
- State Fair contest details in the State Fair Premium Book - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Beginning to learn about poultry:
- Poultry 1 -Scratching the Surface (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Some experience with this project:
- Poultry 2 - Testing your Wings (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
- Poultry 3 - Flocking Together (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Learning resources for all levels:
Other online resources
- Poultry - Helper's Guide (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Poultry - Set of Four (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Embryology in Classroom - 1 (40 pages ) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Embryology in Classroom - 2 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Embryology in Classroom - Set of 2 (40 pages each) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
To get involved with the 4-H Poultry Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.