Explore the poultry industry, including turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, guinea hens, pigeons or quail. Learn about species and breeds, eggs, feather features, health, feeding, handling, washing, managing a flock, ethics, showing and careers. New to 4-H? Get involved in the Poultry Project!
What you can do
Level 1: Poultry 1 - Scratching the Surface
Learn about poultry parts, breeds, cost of raising poultry and how to care for your poultry.
Level 2: Poultry 2 - Testing your Wings
Develop a poultry budget, explore retail poultry products, judge poultry and learn about poultry careers.
Level 3: Poultry 3 - Flocking Together
Explore egg experiments or processing a chicken. Determine inheritance in chickens and how to manage a small flock.
Free curriculum from Utah State 4-H. Registration is required for download access.
- AnSci Updates for 2018 - posted Dec 21, 2017
- Animal science ID requirements and processes
- Poultry information sheet - posted Dec 21, 2017
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species - posted Dec 21, 2017
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
- BBQ Food Safety video – www.z.umn.edu/bbqfoodsafety
- Minnesota Board of Animal Health - Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) Information for Youth Groups - posted April 13, 2015
- University of Minnesota: Extension Poultry, Avian Influenza Web page
- USDA Biosecurity for Birds Web page
- Minnesota Board of Animal Health Avian Influenza Web page
- Avian Influenza Biosecurity for Youth and 4-H Members (login as a guest) - posted April 13, 2015. This is a modular online learning course targeted for 4-Hers/students. They will gain important information about the avian influenza virus and ways to prevent the spread of disease.
Record keeping & evaluation
- 4-H youth record keeping - Reflect on your project and share it.
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Junior Level (PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Senior Level (PDF)
For adult leaders
Be a youth livestock committee member
Three youth project members will be selected for 1 year terms to help plan and organize the State Fair 4-H Poultry Project experience. Members must have extensive Poultry project and leadership experience. Applicants must be 9th grade or older, eligible for next year's 4-H, currently enrolled in poultry project, previously exhibited at MN State Fair and complete this application - PDF - fillable version