Meat Goat Project
Goats are very useful animals - they produce milk, meat and hair for weaving. Learn about management, health, feeding, milking, fitting, breeding, pedigrees, quality assurance, genetics, national industry issues, and showing.
Important project information:
- AnSci Updates for 2015 - coming soon
- Animal science ID requirements and processes
- Meat Goat information sheet
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
All youth participating as a State Fair 4-H livestock exhibitor in beef, dairy, sheep, swine, poultry, rabbit, meat and dairy goat, and lama must have completed the Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics workshop. Certification is good for three fair seasons. The level of training required is determined by the grade of the youth at the time the training takes place.
Dates and locations vary by county. Check this list for more information.
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Project Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More info
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Meat Goat Project resources
Beginning to learn about meat goats:
- Meat Goat 1 - Just Browsing Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Some experience with this project:
- Meat Goat 2 - Get Growing w/Meat Goats Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
- Meat Goat 3 - Meating the Future (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Learning resources for all levels:
- Lamb/Kid Pattern Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Project leader resources
- Meat Goat - Set of 4 - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Meat Goat - Helper's Guide - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Goat Medallion - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Other online resources
4-H Youth record keeping
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Junior Level (26 K PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Senior Level (26 K PDF)
To get involved with the 4-H Meat Goat Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.