Important project information:
Minnesota 4-H Western Heritage is not a project, but an activity to help youth explore and preserve Western Heritage. As you move through the program, you will explore our Western Heritage and develop an appreciation for it; learn to balance competition and education; learn safety skills; develop tools of sportsmanship and realistic goal setting; and have fun. You need not be enrolled in the Horse project to participate but you must be enrolled in 4-H by the enrollment deadline. 4-H horse ID forms and negative Coggins papers are required on all horses participating.
Participants must attend a safety clinic (put on by a MN 4-H certified instructor). The regional Western Heritage events are held throughout Minnesota, giving you the opportunity for additional competition and experience. You may participate in one regional event of your choice each year. Top-placing participants in grade 6 and older will qualify for the state Western Heritage event. Western Heritage is an activity, not a show class. Qualification in Western Heritage does not enable youth to compete in show classes.
Grade eligibility for regional and state events:
- Junior: Completed grade 4 or 5 (regional only)
- Intermediate: Completed grades 6-8
- Senior: Completed grade 9 -13
Horse identification papers must be submitted with regional entries
- Animal science ID requirements and processes
- Western Heritage workbook
- Western Heritage contacts (Updated March 24, 2016)
2016 Safety Clinics
- April 30, 2016 - 12:00 noon, Instructor Paul Kopp, MBW Stables, Isanti. Contact Lois Boettcher 763-444-0420
- May 14, 2016 - 12:00 noon, Instructor Paul Kopp, MBW Stables, Isanti. Contact Lois Boettcher 763-444-0420
- May 15, 2016 - 10 a.m., Jones Arena, Pipestone. Contact Valerie Wagner 507-641-5881
- May 28 & 29, 2016 - RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids. Contact Daryl Sheetz 320-259-9539
- June 11, 2016 - Instructor Valerie Wagner, JS Rodeo Arena, Lakeville. Contact Troy Walters
- June 11 & 12, 2016 - RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids. Contact Daryl Sheetz 320-259-9539
The May 28-29 and June 11-12 clinics at RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids you can participate 1 day for $60 or both days for $100. The price has changed this year because we are going to have multiple events and trainers at the same time. This will create smaller class sizes, which will provide better one on one instruction. This will be a pre-register clinic, for registration form please email Daryl Sheetz.
2016 Regional events
- July 24, 2016 - 10 a.m., SW Region, Al Jones Arena, Pipestone
- July 30, 2016 - 10 a.m., NW Region, Hawley Rodeo Grounds
- July 31, 2016 - 10 a.m., SE Region, JS Rodeo Arena, Lakeville
- Aug. 1, 2016 - 10 a.m., NE Region, RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids
Regional entries due by July 5. No late entries will be accepted.
Regional event entry (form 6)
Events this year will be: Break away, team roping, goat tying, round pen roping and pen to pen sorting.
2016 State competition
- August 20, 2016 - Morrison County Fairgrounds, Little Falls
(State committee meeting follows competition on Saturday)
- August 21, 2016 - Sunday fun day, Morrison County Fairgrounds, Little Falls
Judges / instructor certification
No dates have been set. If you are interested please contact Daryl Sheetz. We would like a 60 day notice to advertise it for others to participate, held at RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids.
- July 9, 2016 - 4-H sorting tournament, High View Stables, LeSueur. Contact Troy Walters