Important project information:
- May 27 & 28 - RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids. Contact Daryl Sheets, 320-259-9539 - more
- June 2 & 3 - Tiger Lake Ranch. Contact Pat Sullivan or Troy Walters - more
- June 3 - BMW Stables, Isanti, 9:30 a.m. Contact Erin Norling, 763-220-9255 or Lois Boettcher, 763-444-0420
- June 10 & 11 - RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids. Contact Daryl Sheets, 320-259-9539 - more
- July 9 - Northwest Region, Hawley Rodeo Grounds, Hawley
- July 23 - Southwest Region, Al Jones Arena, Pipestone (NOTE: Date change)
- July 30 - Southeast Region, 10 a.m., Tiger Lake Ranch, Norwood
- July 31 - Northeast Region, 10 a.m., RJ's Stables, 4074 5th Ave NE, Sauk Rapids
- Regional event entry (form 6). Events this year will be: Break away, team roping, goat tying, round pen roping and pen to pen sorting.
- August 19 - Morrison County Fairgrounds, Little Falls (State committee meeting follows competition on Saturday)
- August 20 - Sunday fun day, Morrison County Fairgrounds, Little Falls
Minnesota 4-H Western Heritage is not a project, but an activity to help youth explore and preserve Western Heritage. As you move through the program, you will explore our Western Heritage and develop an appreciation for it; learn to balance competition and education; learn safety skills; develop tools of sportsmanship and realistic goal setting; and have fun. You MUST be enrolled in the 4-H Horse project to participate. 4-H horse ID forms and negative Coggins papers are required on all horses participating.
Participants must attend a safety clinic (put on by a MN 4-H certified instructor). The regional Western Heritage events are held throughout Minnesota, giving you the opportunity for additional competition and experience. You may participate in one regional event of your choice each year. Top-placing participants in grade 6 and older will qualify for the state Western Heritage event. Western Heritage is an activity, not a show class. Qualification in Western Heritage does not enable youth to compete in show classes.
Grade eligibility for regional and state events:
- Junior: Completed grades 3-5 (regional only)
- Intermediate: Completed grades 6-8
- Senior: Completed grade 9-13
Horse identification papers must be submitted to your county Extension office 10 days after safety clinic participation
Judges / instructor certification
No dates have been set. If you are interested please contact Daryl Sheetz. We would like a 60 day notice to advertise it for others to participate, held at RJ's Stables, Sauk Rapids.