Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show
Important project information:
The Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show is an annual event held each September after the Minnesota State Fair. Preparation and participation in this show provides life skills and learning experiences for 4-H Horse Project members, their families and leaders.
- September 18 - 21, 2015 - Minnesota State Fairgrounds
Who can attend?
- To be eligible for Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show, all county qualifying shows are required to use Minnesota 4-H certified judges from the current 4-H Certified Horse Judges list.
- Participants must have completed sixth grade, be no more than one year beyond high school graduation and be currently enrolled in the 4-H horse project.
- Exhibitor and horse must have received a blue ribbon or higher placing at the county level in all classes entered at the state show. The horse ridden to qualify in those classes must be the same one used at the state show.
Exception: Step 6 and Level 6 of Training & Achievement. Exhibitors must complete the program and be recommended by their county Extension educator or horse project leader. Exhibitors are not obliged to complete this test at the county show, but counties are encouraged to include them as part of their shows for demonstration or practice. Exhibitors may test at the state show regardless of their county test score as long as they have been recommended. Read more about horse training and horse achievement.
- Training Project - Those exhibitors entering Steps 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 may show in Showmanship if qualified at their county level. Only those exhibitors entered in Steps 4 & 5 are eligible for riding classes, if qualified at their county fair. To qualify you must have a blue ribbon or higher on your training project. If showing in trail, they are counted as part of the county quota.
- If the county qualification system awards pleasure & game trips, the exhibitor is eligible to participate in both game & pleasure classes, provided that they received a blue ribbon or higher placing, on that same horse, at their county qualifying show.
- A member can accept a Horse Show individual trip and a state fair individual trip. Members may participate in activities (judging, hippology, speech, demonstration etc.) at both the state fair and the state horse show.
- Member must own or lease the mare or gelding exhibited. The horse must be identified, certifying ownership and/or management arrangements by May 15 on the Animal science ID requirements and processes . 4-H'ers must provide all care, feeding, grooming, training and exercising for the horse from May 15 through to the state show.
- Horseless Horse is limited to members whose household does not own or lease a horse.
- Substitution of exhibitors (horse and rider team) will be allowed up to 10 days prior to the show.
- The Dan Patch Award winner and finalists are not part of county quotas. They must pay appropriate fees and must have received blue ribbons at their county shows in the classes they enter.
- A negative Coggins test is required on all horses on the state fairgrounds and copies must be sent with county registration forms.
How much does it cost?
Determined by county and classes.
Horse Show Program
Part 1: 2014 4-H horse show activities - (Posted Sept. 4, 2014)
Part 2: 2014 4-H horse project information - (Posted Sept. 4, 2014)
The horse show program is available in 2 parts. You need both to have the complete program book.
Horse quota bonus trip information - posted April 1, 2015
Horse Related quota is 2 per county - see the show handbook for more details
- 2015 Horse bonus trip award letter
- 2015 Horse bonus trip awards
Senior Hi Point performance* - Aimee Schulz
Junior Hi Point performance* - Grace Killeen
Senior Hi Point games* - Nicole Hustad* You can only be awarded Hi Point awards once in your 4-H career.
Junior Hi Point games* - Kaylyn Rommes
- Performance results by class (posted 9/22/14)
- Showmanship results by class (posted 10/13/14)
- Class results by county
- Game results by class (posted 9/22/14)
- Game detail results (posted 10/17/14)
- Horseless horse / horse related results (posted 10/17/14)
- Drill team results (posted 10/3/14)
- Training results (updated 2/23/15)
- Trail results by class (posted 10/17/14)
- Speech and demo (posted 10/13/14)
- Hippology team (posted 10/2/14)
- Hippology individual (posted 10/2/14)
- Horse judging contest results (posted 9/16/14)
- Herdsmanship (posted 10/21/14)
- Western heritage state event results (posted 10/13/14)
- Horse show photos by MJM Sharpshooter Photography
Past Horse Show results:
4-H program director
800-444-4238 (ext. 775)
Extension educator, horse liaison
Executive administrative specialist