2018 Horse quota bonus trips
To offer a limited number of additional trips to the Minnesota State Horse Show to counties that excel in educational programming.
The Minnesota 4-H Horse Program has grown to become the largest animal science project area. As the program grows, so has the uniqueness and scope of the opportunities afforded to horse project members. The horse bonus trip program has two facets. The Program Excellence trip rewards counties that do an outstanding job of offering high-quality educational programs to 4-H'ers, community service and offers a well-rounded program. The Quality Program trip winners should reflect the quality of the performance of the youth participating in all areas of the horse program.
Additional Trips for Horse
Twenty additional State 4-H Horse Show trips will be awarded under this scheme. The maximum number per county is one. Winning counties can decide how to use the trip, e.g., games or pleasure.
- The anonymous selection committee will be comprised of one Extension Staff person, one volunteer, and one youth to review the applications.
- The applications will be 1-4 pages long, not including cover sheet and photo/publicity pages. It is designed not to take a great deal of time to complete.
- Applications are designed such that they could be completed by volunteer(s) or 4-H'er(s).
- All applications require a 4-H regional educator or 4-H program coordinator's signature to ensure accuracy. The online application will be forwarded to the noted 4-H extension educator or 4-H program coordinator for verification.
- Applications are due to the Center for Youth Development by June 1 and could include activities and results since June 1 of the previous year.
- Applications will be duplicated and forwarded to the committee, which may meet in person or by conference call to make final decisions.
- Bonus trips will be awarded by June 25.
- Counties winning bonus trips will be highlighted in the State 4-H Horse Show Book.
Programming Excellence requirements: Cover sheet, 400 word description, 2 pages of photos/publicity (brief captions on photos, only newspaper articles for publicity).
Quality Overview requirements: Cover sheet, 200 word description, 2 pages of photos/publicity (brief captions on photos, only newspaper articles for publicity), completed 3 page award spreadsheet. Download the award spreadsheet here or docx. This spreadsheet must be completed and submitted with the online application below.
Counties earning bonus trips will be duly noted in the state show catalog and on the horse project website, including a brief description of accomplishments.
Applications should be completed by a youth or adult volunteer. Applications require an Extension Educator or 4-H Program Coordinator verification to assure accuracy. The online application is automatically routed to the county program staff indicated on form for approval.
Applications are due at the Center for Youth Development by June 1, 2018.
Materials in the application should include educational programming offered after June 1 of the previous year. Applications will be reviewed by a sub-committee which includes extension staff, adult and youth volunteers. Bonus trips will be awarded by June 25th. Counties earning bonus trips will be highlighted with a brief description of programming accomplishments in State Horse Show catalog and on the horse project web page.
4-H volunteers should use this online link to submit either of the Horse bonus trip applications. The online application is automatically routed to the county program staff indicated on form for approval.
IF 4-H families can not access the online application, send a email to Amy DeGroot at email@example.com to obtain a paper application or call 218-828-2300.