Exploring Animals Project
Youth in grades K-3 are guided by adult helpers as they get started exploring the basics of animal science. Learn about different animal breeds, basic health and nutrition needs, animal behavior, life stages, home safety for pets and more. No animal ownership required.
Important project information:
- AnSci Updates for 2015 - coming soon
- Animal science ID requirements and processes - updated to reflect meat goat ID change Feb 19, 2015
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
State & Regional Events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More info
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Exploring Animals Project resources
Animals in Pursuit Questions
- Dairy (43 K PDF)
- Dog (43 K PDF)
- General Livestock (43 K PDF)
- Horse (43 K PDF)
- Poultry (43 K PDF)
- Rabbit (43 K PDF)
- Wildlife(43 K PDF)
Project leader resources
- Herdmanship (45 K PDF)
- From Airedales to Zebras ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- All Systems Go ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- The Cutting Edge ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Veterinarian Science Helpers Guide ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Wonderwise: Vet Detective (University of Nebraska)
4-H Youth record keeping
- Exploring Animals evaluation sheet (41 K PDF)
To get involved with the 4-H Exploring Animals Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.