Learn to train a dog for agility, obedience, showmanship or as an ideal pet. Topics include canine behavior, breed characteristics, diseases, ethics, grooming, health, nutrition, responsible breeding, service dogs, therapy dogs, dog-related careers, and the wide array of dog sports. You can also choose to compete in the 4-H county or state dog show.
Important project information
- AnSci Updates for 2017 - posted January 6, 2017
- Animal science ID requirements and processes
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species - posted January 3, 2017
- Cloverbud information sheet
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
This is a workshop for current judges and prospective judges in agility. Current 4-H dog project judges are also invited to attend. It is NOT a seminar designed for younger 4-H members (though a youth leader in a county leadership position with interest in future judging would be welcome). More info.
4-H dog owners bring their dogs to this training and networking workshop for youth age third grade and older, their families, trainers, potential trainers, youth and adult leaders. More info.
Dog Project State Fair Showcase - Sign up due August 2017
The state dog committee likes to highlight the Minnesota 4-H Dog project at the Minnesota State Fair during the livestock encampment weekend, and needs youth from the 4-H dog project to be involved in this showcase. This is a great opportunity to help promote the Minnesota 4-H Dog Project and we need lots of help to make this a success! More info.
The Minnesota 4-H State Dog Show is an annual event held in the fall after the Minnesota State Fair. The state show consists of agility, obedience, and showmanship events. To be eligible for the state show, 4-Hers must first qualify at their county level. More info
- September 23-24, 2017 - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More Info
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Level 1 Learning Goals:
Learn to identify dog breeds, identify dog body parts, investigate dog nutrition, explore dog behavior and more.
- Dog 1 - Wiggles 'n Wags ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Level 2 Learning Goals:
Discover where dog breeds originate, investigate dog health maintenance and treatments, teach dogs to do tricks and more.
- Dog 2 - Canine Connection ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Level 3 Learning Goals:
Investigate dog breeding, appreciate dogs as service animals, identify dog ownership laws, explore careers with dogs and more.
- Dog 3 - Leading the Pack ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Learning resources for all levels
- Dog Project Guide (545 PDF)
- The Complete Dog Book For Kids (ISBN 0876054602) Visit your local bookstore or library or order online
- Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook - Fourth Edition (ISBN 0470067853) Visit your local bookstore or library or order online
Dog Project areas
- Rally Obedience Rules & Guidelines book (PDF) Updated April 2017
- Rally score sheet (PDF) Revised April 2017
- Rally signs (PDF) Revised April 2017
- Dog Obedience Rules & Guidelines book (1.2 MB PDF) Updated April 2016
Other online resources
- Dog Project Guide for Training & Shows (PDF) Updated April 2016
- Dog - Helper's Guide ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Dog - Set of Four ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Ask training questions/rule interpretation/policy questions
- Find out about invitational dog shows your members may be interested in entering
- Reminders about deadlines for state-wide events
- Equipment available at sale price (please do not use this to advertise, if you have a dog business)
Resources needed for 4-H dog shows
Videos for trainers and volunteers
- General and New 4-H Dog Project Guideline books for trainers (Youtube)
- Foundation through Novice Plus Brace, Veterans and four-dog team 4-H dog classes for trainers (Youtube)
- Graduate Novice to Open 4-H dog classes for trainers (Youtube)
- Graduate Open to Utility 4-H dog classes for trainers (Youtube)
To get involved with the 4-H Dog Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.