Learn to train a dog for agility, obedience, showmanship or as an ideal pet. Topics include canine behavior, breed characteristics, diseases, ethics, grooming, health, nutrition, responsible breeding, service dogs, therapy dogs, dog-related careers, and the wide array of dog sports. You can also choose to compete in the 4-H county or state dog show.
Important project information:
- AnSci Updates for 2015 - posted March 12, 2015
- Animal science ID requirements and processes
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species - updated to reflect meat goat ID change March 11, 2015
- Cloverbud information sheet
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
This is a seminar for current judges and prospective judges in agility. 4-H dog project leaders or Extension personnel are welcome as auditors. It is NOT a seminar designed for younger 4-H members (though a youth leader in a county leadership position with interest in future judging would be welcome). More info.
- May 2-3, 2015
- Rice County Fairgrounds, 1814 2nd Ave. NW, Faribault, MN 55021
- Registration deadline: April 24, 2015
All 4-H Alumni and their dogs are invited! More info.
- May 3, 2015
- Rice County Fairgrounds, 1814 2nd Ave. NW, Faribault, Mn 55021
- $4 for First Class/dog, $3 for Second Class/dog
- Pre-registration required
4-H dog owners bring their dogs to this training and networking workshop for youth age third grade and older, their families, trainers, potential trainers, youth and adult leaders. More info.
- 2015 Dog Supersession, June 13-14, 2015
- Redwood County Fairgrounds, Redwood Falls, Minnesota
- Pre-register by May 23, 2015
- $30 per person for weekend, $20 per person for 1 day only
The state dog committee likes to highlight the Minnesota 4-H Dog project at the Minnesota State Fair during the livestock encampment weekend, and needs youth from the 4-H dog project to be involved in this showcase. This is a great opportunity to help promote the Minnesota 4-H Dog Project and we need lots of help to make this a success! More info.
The Minnesota 4-H State Dog Show is an annual event held in the fall after the Minnesota State Fair. The state show consists of agility, obedience, and showmanship events. To be eligible for the state show, 4-Hers must first qualify at their county level. More info
- September 26-27, 2015 - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More Info
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Dog Project resources
Beginning to learn about dogs:
- Dog 1 - Wiggles 'n Wags ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Some experience with this project:
- Dog 2 - Canine Connection ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Looking for a challenge:
- Dog 3 - Leading the Pack ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Learning resources for all levels:
- Identifying 4-H Dog Project (Video)
- The Complete Dog Book For Kids (ISBN 0876054602) Visit your local bookstore or library or order online
- Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook - Fourth Edition (ISBN 0470067853) Visit your local bookstore or library or order online
Dog Project areas
- Dog Obedience Rules & Guidelines book (231 K PDF) Updated December 2011
- Beginner A (39 K PDF)
- Beginner B (39 K PDF)
- Graduate beginner (39K PDF)
- Novice (39 K PDF)
- Graduate novice (40 K PDF)
- Pre-open (39 K PDF)
- Open (39 K PDF)
- Graduate open (40 K PDF)
- Pre-utility (40 K PDF)
- Utility (45 K PDF)
- Four-dog team (40 K PDF)
- Long sit & long down (26 K PDF)
- Dog Agility Rules & Guidelines book (1.2 MB PDF)
- Agility classes release form (84 K PDF) Updated December 2011
Project leader resources
These resources are needed for 4-H dog shows:
Additional resources for 4-H dog project:
Other online resources
4-H Youth record keeping
- Pets (Small Pets, Dogs, Rabbits) evaluation sheet (42 K PDF) Revised April, 2010
To get involved with the 4-H Dog Project, contact your county 4-H office.
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.