Explore the beef industry. Learn about breeds, health, feed, behavior, judging and showing a calf, ethical issues, reproduction, marketing, careers and more. Your animal may be purebred, grade or crossbred; heifer, steer or cow-calf.
Important project information:
Market beef and dairy steer ID deadline is February 18.
More information can be found on the animal science ID page.
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
All youth participating as a State Fair 4-H livestock exhibitor in beef, dairy, sheep, swine, poultry, rabbit, meat and dairy goat, and lama must have completed the Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics workshop. Certification is good for three fair seasons. The level of training required is determined by the grade of the youth at the time the training takes place.
- Dates and locations vary by county. Check this list for more information.
Project Bowls are an exciting way for youth to explore a project area. Teams compete in quiz competitions with questions about specific project areas. Project Bowls are available for Dairy, Dog, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horse, Poultry, Rabbit and Wildlife projects. Winners of the Regional Project Bowls advance to the State Bowl. More info
Effectively evaluating breeding and market animals is highly important in the animal industry. Judging is an art developed through patient study and long practice. 4-Hers interested in Dairy, General Livestock (Beef, Sheep & Swine), Horses, Poultry, and Rabbits can learn to be a good judge by knowing the parts of the animal and their location, which parts are most important for meat and breeding stock production, making keen observations and comparing to the ideal, weighing the good and bad points of each animal, and much more. More info
- Check with your county for local county judging contests.
- State Fair contest details in the State Fair Premium Book - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More Info
Beef Project resources
Beginning to learn about beef:
- Beef 1 - Bite into Beef (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Some experience with this project:
- Beef 2 - Here's the Beef (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Looking for a challenge:
- Beef 3 - Leading the Charge (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Learning resources for all levels:
- Calf Pattern (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Junior Level (26 K PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews - Senior Level (26 K PDF)
Project leader resources
Other online resources
- Beef Mouthing Sheet-University of Florida(134 K PDF)
- University of Minnesota Extension Service - Beef Home Study Courses
- Beef Quality Assurance Manual
- Beef Crossword Puzzle (51 K PDF)
- Beef Chart (277 K PDF) Best when printed at least 17" x 22"
4-H Youth record keeping
- General livestock judging reasons sheet (17 K PDF)