Explore the beef industry. Learn about breeds, health, feed, behavior, judging and showing a calf, ethical issues, reproduction, marketing, careers and more. Your animal may be purebred, grade or crossbred; heifer, steer or cow-calf. New to 4-H? Get involved in the Beef Project!
Level 1: Beef 1 - Bite into Beef
Learn about beef breeds, the parts of a beef animal, the skills needed to show beef, develop an understanding of beef quality assurance and more.
Level 2: Beef 2 - Here's the Beef
Explore the nutritional needs and digestive system of beef animals, understand the basics of judging beef, grading beef meat and more.
Level 3: Beef 3 - Leading the Charge
Expand your understanding of animal nutrition and health, fitting a beef animal for show, meat evaluation and more.
- US Beef and Cattle Statistics
- Beef Mouthing Sheet-University of Florida (PDF)
- Beef Quality Assurance Manual (PDF)
Free curriculum from Utah State 4-H. Registration is required for download access.
Market beef and dairy steer ID deadline is February 15, 2017. More information can be found on the animal science ID page.
- AnSci Updates for 2017 - posted January 6, 2017
- Animal science ID requirements and processes (ID worksheets, forms, etc.)
- Beef information sheet- updated - posted May 8, 2017 to reflect change in Limousin percentage
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species - posted January 3, 2017
- Animal science projects lease fact sheet
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbud information sheet
- AKSARBEN update for beef - posted March 24, 2016
- Slick-shorn division information sheet - posted January 3, 2017
Record keeping & evaluation
- 4-H youth record keeping - Reflect on your project and share it.
- General Livestock judging contest evaluation with reasons (PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews evaluation - Junior Level (PDF)
- Animal Science Project Interviews evaluation - Senior Level (PDF)
For adult leaders
Be a youth livestock committee member
Three youth project members will be selected for one year terms to help plan and organize the State Fair 4-H Beef Project experience. Members must have extensive beef project and leadership experience. Applicants must be 9th grade or older, eligible for next year's 4-H, currently enrolled in beef project, previously exhibited at Minnesota State Fair and complete this application. PDF - fillable version