Leading a club
Leading a club is one very important role that a volunteer can play. You are not working alone! Along with the support of your county Extension staff, these materials about club operations can guide you.
Club management guide
Cover letter (PDF)
Table of contents (PDF)
How to use this guide (PDF)
This is Minnesota 4-H (PDF)
Basic facts about clubs (PDF)
Club management toolkit
4-H name and emblem (PDF)
Constitution and by-laws (PDF)
Program planning guide (PDF)
Club goals (PDF)
Meeting outline (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 1 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 2 (PDF)
- Meeting Outline Ideas 3 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 4 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 5 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 6 (PDF)
Parliamentary procedure (PDF)
Club committee planning (PDF)
New member ceremony (PDF)
Good for you (PDF)
Parents can help (PDF)
Parent survey (PDF)
Youth leader roles (PDF)
Bring it back report (PDF)
4-H club chartering process
4-H club secretary
Treasurer book and training set-up
When setting up the club treasurer binder for each club we ask that you prepare the following:
- Cover page (PDF) - To go on the outside cover of the treasurer binder.
- Creating the treasurer book (113K DOCX) - Information on tabs and the binder in this document.
- Treasurer training workbook (PDF) - Run 2-sided and place behind the workbook tab in the treasurer book.
- Worksheets 1 and 2 (168K DOCX) - Please run one copy per participant.
There are documents to the treasurer book, but we ask that you don’t print them off at this time.
We would like for treasurer's to use the interactive Excel documents that are explained throughout the training.
- Excel checkbook ledger (443K XLSX)
- Itemized income form (64K XLSX)
- Monthly treasurer report (66K XLSX)
- Monthly reconciliation form (68K XLSX)
- Income generation application (98K DOC)
- Income generation follow-up report (86K DOC)
- Fundraising income transaction form (95K DOC)
Treasurer book training
The treasurer training is approximately 1 hour and 3 minutes long. Throughout the training, the participant is asked to "pause" the video to complete the activity. The anticipated training in full is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The treasurer’s training part 1: (8:42)
- Getting started
The treasurer’s training part 2: (15:40)
- Activity #1 – Reviewing the Minnesota 4-H club financial summary
- Activity #2 – Inputting the starting balance in the October Excel checkbook ledger
- Activity #3 – Understanding the club proposed budget
- Activity #4 – Handling income
- Activity #5 – Handling expenses
The treasurer’s training part 3: (12:55)
- Activity #6 – Preparing the deposit
- Activity #7 – Recording income and expenses in the Excel checkbook ledger
The treasurer’s training part 4: (10:35)
- Activity #8 – Reconciling the bank statement
The treasurer’s training part 5: (6:29)
- Activity #9 – The monthly treasurer's report
The treasurer’s training part 6: (4:10)
- Activity #10 – Organizing your records
- Activity #11 – End of the year club chartering
The treasurer’s training part 7: (7:31)
- Fundraising in the name of 4-H
- Club dissolution
Please take the evaluation survey once you’ve completed all 7 videos.
Program planning worksheets
4-H club annual plan (PDF)
4-H goal setting (PDF)
4-H activity planner (PDF)
Find resources for club rewards and other materials at the National 4-H Mall.