Leading a club
Leading a club is one very important role that a volunteer can play. You are not working alone! Along with the support of your county Extension staff, these materials about club operations can guide you.
Club management guide
Cover letter (PDF)
Table of contents (PDF)
How to use this guide (PDF)
This is Minnesota 4-H (PDF)
Basic facts about clubs (PDF)
Money matters (PDF)
Service learning (PDF)
Club management toolkit
4-H name and emblem (PDF)
Constitution and by-laws (PDF)
Program planning guide (PDF)
Club goals (PDF)
Meeting outline (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 1 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 2 (PDF)
- Meeting Outline Ideas 3 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 4 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 5 (PDF)
- Meeting outline ideas 6 (PDF)
Parliamentary procedure (PDF)
Club committee planning (PDF)
New member ceremony (PDF)
Good for you (PDF)
Parents can help (PDF)
Parent survey (PDF)
Youth leader roles (PDF)
Bring it back report (PDF)
Minnesota 4-H annual club charter renewal
Each 4-H club in Minnesota must complete a club charter every year in order to remain a club. All of the documents you will need are listed below. All completed documents must be in the Extension office on or before Nov. 1, 2015.
Club charter training
Closed captioning is available by clicking the CC icon at the bottom right corner of the video.
Before taking the training you must print a copy of the directions: Club chartering process, and forms A, B, C and D. After the training, please take this short evaluation survey to help us improve this training.
Club chartering documents
- Directions: Club chartering process (PDF)
- Form A: Annual club charter renewal (118k DOCX)
- Form B: Annual club financial summary (245K XLSX)
- Form C: Club proposed budget (244K XLSX)
- Form D: Treasurer book financial review (264K DOCX)
Please take this evaluation survey after you are finished with the training.
Print the evaluation survey. (PDF)
4-H club secretary
Treasurer book and training set-up
When setting up the club treasurer binder for each club we ask that you prepare the following:
- Cover page (PDF) - To go on the outside cover of the treasurer binder.
- Creating the treasurer book (113K DOCX) - Information on tabs and the binder in this document.
- Treasurer training workbook (PDF) - Run 2-sided and place behind the workbook tab in the treasurer book.
- Worksheets 1 and 2 (168K DOCX) - Please run one copy per participant.
There are documents to the treasurer book, but we ask that you don’t print them off at this time.
We would like for treasurer's to use the interactive Excel documents that are explained throughout the training.
- Excel checkbook ledger (443K XLSX)
- Itemized income form (64K XLSX)
- Monthly treasurer report (66K XLSX)
- Monthly reconciliation form (68K XLSX)
- Income generation application (98K DOC)
- Income generation follow-up report (86K DOC)
- Fundraising income transaction form (95K DOC)
Treasurer book training
The treasurer training is approximately 1 hour and 3 minutes long. Throughout the training, the participant is asked to "pause" the video to complete the activity. The anticipated training in full is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The treasurer’s training part 1: (8:42)
- Getting started
The treasurer’s training part 2: (15:40)
- Activity #1 – Reviewing the Minnesota 4-H club financial summary
- Activity #2 – Inputting the starting balance in the October Excel checkbook ledger
- Activity #3 – Understanding the club proposed budget
- Activity #4 – Handling income
- Activity #5 – Handling expenses
The treasurer’s training part 3: (12:55)
- Activity #6 – Preparing the deposit
- Activity #7 – Recording income and expenses in the Excel checkbook ledger
The treasurer’s training part 4: (9:31)
- Activity #8 – Reconciling the bank statement
The treasurer’s training part 5: (6:29)
- Activity #9 – The monthly treasurer's report
The treasurer’s training part 6: (4:10)
- Activity #10 – Organizing your records
- Activity #11 – End of the year club chartering
The treasurer’s training part 7: (7:31)
- Fundraising in the name of 4-H
- Club dissolution
Please take the evaluation survey once you’ve completed all 7 videos.
Program planning tools
Blank footprints worksheet (47 K PDF)
4-H position descriptions
4-H project volunteer (PDF)
4-H activity volunteer (PDF)
4-H one-time volunteer (PDF)
Find resources for club rewards and other materials at the National 4-H Mall.