4-H YELLO! Conference
Youth Exploring Leadership and Learning Outloud! (YELLO!) is an exciting and fun, citizenship and leadership conference planned and facilitated by the Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors. The event brings together approximately 400 youth from across Minnesota and the surrounding region to listen to motivational speakers, participate in hands-on activities, engage in a service-learning project, and explore fun and educational opportunities in the region. The youth participants get the opportunity to meet other youth across the region and plan for action in their home communities through a youth-teaching-youth model.
2014 event information
4-H YELLO! "Channel your World"
Youth participants will be "channel surfing" through many exciting experiences during this four-day experience! This year's event will provide youth with educational tools to increase and enhance youth voice in their school, clubs/organizations, and community. Participants will be challenged to think about "What if...?" to think creatively about things they are passionate about, and/or think about community issues in a new and different way. During the week, the participants will engage in a service-learning activity to put into practice some of the skills they learn, while learning about hunger in their local, regional, and global communities. Additional activities will allow youth to hear from nationally-recognized keynote speakers, engage in opportunities to meet other youth, learn some dances, and explore cool museums in the Twin Cities!
- Who: Youth grades 6 through one year past high school. See the registration process below.
- Where: Overnight lodging (bunk beds), meals, and the majority of activities will occur in or around the 4-H Building on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in St. Paul. Participants will potentially visit off-site service projects and local museums under chaperone supervision.
- When: June 9-12, 2014
- Start/end time: The event will begin at 2:30pm on June 9 and conclude by 11:30am on June 12
- Cost: $200/participant. The fee covers all food, housing, and activities during the event, transportation and admission to a museum in the Twin Cities, an event chaperone, and a conference t-shirt. Scholarship opportunities might be available through your local 4-H office. Please contact them directly to inquire about deadlines and requirements. You are encouraged to contact them early as some scholarship deadlines might be prior to the event registration deadline.
- Registration deadline: Registration opens on April 1, 2014 at 3 p.m. closes on May 8, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.
- Letter sent to all 2014 YELLO! participants
- Event information & expectations
- General schedule of activities
- Electronic device usage
- Packing list
How can I register?
Contact your local 4-H office for registration information, or register through your family's 4HOnline account (click here for instructions). Only active 4-H members currently in grades 6 through one year past high school will be able to register. If you have not yet completed the enrollment process for Minnesota 4-H this year, you will need to contact your local 4-H office prior to registering. If you are not affiliated with a Minnesota 4-H program, you are welcome and invited to attend the 4-H YELLO! Conference. Complete the Short-Term 4-H Member Registration (191K PDF) and search by your county for your local 4-H contact person. If you are located outside of Minnesota, please submit this form directly to email@example.com.
In the unfortunate event you need to cancel your attendance at the 2014 4-H YELLO!, you must contact your local 4-H office immediately. Only cancellations made prior to May 8 will be eligible for a full refund. After May 8, a $50 program fee will be retained, and partial refunds will be granted only under the following conditions:
- The Refund Request form is signed and submitted by the local 4-H program staff by June 24, 2014,
- AND -
- Notice of cancellation is submitted to the State Office/event coordinators by noon on June 10, 2014.
- OR -
- A participant becomes ill during the event.
Are you an adult interested in volunteering?
A select number of adult volunteers will be needed to chaperone youth attendees and support the Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors and Advisors in delivering this year's event. If you or someone you know is interested, please review the 2014 4-H YELLO! Chaperone Position Description and send an email to your local 4-H contact person with answers to the following questions no later than May 8, 2014:
- Provide your full name and preferred contact information
- What is your interest in being a 4-H YELLO! chaperone?
- What does a quality youth-adult partnership look like to you?
- What topics would you be interested in learning about/sharing with others during this event?
Minnesota State 4-H Ambassador Advisors (this is a shared email account managed by 4-H adult staff that support the State Ambassador programs) firstname.lastname@example.org