Shooting Sports & Wildlife leader certification
Other shooting sports pages of interest:
In order to run a county or multi-county shooting sports & wildlife program, instructors must be certified by Minnesota 4-H. The leader certification trainings are designed to cover the needed knowledge and rules to become a certified 4-H county instructor.
2016 fall SS&W leader certification training
The Minnesota 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife Program Development Committee invites you to attend a 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife Leader Certification! The committee recommends that leaders attend the entire certification weekend every 5 years. Now is your chance to attend!
The training is designed for adults and youth (9th grade and older) that lead or would like to lead training in shooting sports or wildlife. Classes will be offered in the disciplines of coordinator, archery, rifle/pistol, shotgun, muzzleloading, and wildlife. This training meets the 4-H project leaders' requirements for certification and recertification. Although there is range time allocated in the schedule, the majority of the training is classroom work to become an effective instructor, not to practice your own shooting skills.
Fall 2016 training
- October 1-2, 2016 - Oronoco Community Center, Oronoco, MN (north of Rochester)
- Registration DUE September 16!
Disciplines fill quickly, so make sure registration forms are sent in early.
- New volunteers MUST complete the volunteer screening process before Sept. 16. Click here for information about becoming a volunteer.
- Returning volunteers MUST re-enroll in 4HOnline between the time the new year begins in 4HOnline (Sept. 14) and the registration deadline (Sept. 16). Click here for information on volunteer re-enrolling.
- All volunteers MUST complete three online trainings. See page 3 of the cover letter for more information. Please note that trainings are not accessible from mobile devices. For additional assistance with accessing the online trainings, contact Judy Christians at email@example.com or 507-372-3900, Extension 3902
Spring 2017 trainings (mark your calendars now!)
- April 22-23, 2017 - Deep Portage ELC, Hackensack
- May 6-7, 2017 (tentatively) - SCALE Facility, Jordan, MN
Who can attend?
4-H youth leaders grade 9 and higher, and adult 4-H volunteers. All youth must be enrolled in the current 4-H year, and all adults must be enrolled as screened adult volunteers before participating in this certification training. County or regional Extension offices are responsible for recruiting participants for the shooting sports & wildlife leaders certification training.
Get involved - be a host county!
Has your county ever considered hosting a shooting sports/wildlife leader training? Do you have an interest in hosting an event within the next year? Would you like to host one close to your county so your volunteers could get trained close to home? If you answered yes to any of those questions, please read on!
There are several opportunities for shooting sports/wildlife leader trainings and we are looking for host sites throughout Minnesota. It would involve a weekend (typically a Friday night through Sunday noon, for a total of 20 hours of training time) in which leaders come and get training in a specific discipline.
If you would have an interest in hosting a shooting sports/wildlife leader training, please contact Nicole Pokorney, Rochester Regional Office, 507-536-6304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get involved with the 4-H shooting sports program, contact your county 4-H staff.
4-H Youth development educator