Minnesota 4-H Science of Animals
Science of Animals at the Minnesota State Fair is designed to expose 4-H animal project youth to the many dimensions of the industry. 4-H youth will attend and participate in an educational session prior to the judging. This required activity might include a panel discussion from industry experts or a workshop focusing on issues such as bio-security, animal health/welfare, production, or career opportunities. The educational session and judging process will likely take about two hours. And remember, participation in the educational process is required for youth to be considered for a purple ribbon or champion consideration.
Science of Animals is offered in one of four topic areas (animal health, breeding, production and other) for all livestock species (beef, dairy, dairy goat, meat foat, poultry, rabbit, sheep and swine).
Judging times at state fair are:
- Thursday at 9 a.m. for exhibitors with dairy, rabbits, dairy goats and meat goats.
- Saturday at 9 a.m. for exhibitors with poultry, beef, sheep and swine.
If you cannot participate during the assigned times due to 4-H conflicts, then report to the Science of Agriculture office in the 4-H poultry/rabbit building on Wednesday (anytime) or Thursday (before 9 a.m.). Hopefully, you can be assigned to the other judging slot, if neither time works for you because of 4-H conflicts, an alternative time will be offered.
Who can attend?
Minnesota 4-H exhibitors at the county and state level.
More information and registration
You must qualify at your county fair in order to participate at the state fair. Some Minnesota State Fair rules:
- Exhibits do not have to be in the same species as livestock exhibit.
- 4-Hers can win a trip in Science of Animals and take a livestock trip to state fair.
- Participants can receive housing with county livestock delegation and help with herdsmanship, herdsmanship judging, etc.
- Participants must interview if not exhibiting an animal and must participate in the Science of Animals workshop.
How do I participate?
- Information about exhibiting at your county fair is available in your county fair premium books. Contact your local Extension office for more information.
- Specific state fair exhibit information is available from your local county 4-H program coordinator and in the 4-H state fair premium book.
- Science of Animal evaluation sheet - use for county and state fair.
4-H program director