Minnesota 4-H Science of Agriculture Response Challenge
A team challenge event for youth: Find solutions to real ag-related issues in your community and present your results on the U of M campus
The new 4-H Science of Agriculture Response Challenge provides a hands-on learning experience to inspire the next generation of agriculture leaders in Minnesota. Youth teams will partner with local expert mentors to develop science-based responses to agriculture-related issues they have identified in their communities.
Youth can explore issues in the areas of agronomy, animal husbandry, soil science, ag business, rural finance, food science, engineering and more. Youth are encouraged to be creative in exploring and developing solutions.
Teams can be cross-county. Teams will work together starting in autumn 2014 and make formal presentations on the St. Paul campus in June, 2015. Each member of the top three teams will receive a university scholarship of $500 - $1,000.
Important dates for teams to know
- Webinar, questions and progress check - March 17, 2015 @ 7 pm
- Online registration due - April 15, 2015
- Science of Agriculture Response Challenge destination event at U of M St. Paul Campus - June 18-19, 2015
Who can participate?
Teams may include 3-4 youth, grades 6 and above (current and new 4-H'ers). Volunteers, coaches, coordinators and mentors will play an important role in the teams' planning and execution.
To participate in the challenge on June 18-19, 2015,, each team must turn in a completed team intent form by Nov. 9, 2014. Teams wishing to express intent after November 9, 2014, should contact Dr. Joshua Rice, email@example.com 612-624-8415 directly.
Science of Agriculture Response team aids
- Science of Agriculture Response Quick Start Guide (198 K)
- Science of Agriculture concept maps presentation slides (217 K) Handout format (PDF 271 K)
- Science of Ag drone presentation example (462 K)
- Team judging rubric example (141 K)
- Science of Ag fact sheet (158 K)
- Science of Agriculture Response coach position form (223 K)
- Science of Agriculture Response mentor position form (220 K)
- "What is the Science of Agriculture Response Challenge?" September 18, 2014 presentation slides (922 K)
- Science of Agriculture Response volunteer (webinar recording from October 14, 2014
- Implementing effective inquiry learning for youth (webinar recording from 11/18/2014)
Joshua E. Rice, Ph.D.
Assistant Extension professor, science of agriculture
All resources on this page have been reviewed by our faculty and included for their educational value. No endorsement is intended or implied. Minnesota 4-H does not profit from the inclusion of any commercial project resources.