Minnesota 4-H Science of Agriculture Response Challenge
A team challenge event for youth: Find solutions to real ag-related issues in your community and present your results on the U of M campus
The new 4-H Science of Agriculture Response Challenge (SOAR) provides a hands-on learning experience to inspire the next generation of agriculture leaders in Minnesota. Youth teams will partner with local expert mentors to develop science-based responses to agriculture-related issues they have identified in their communities.
Youth can explore issues in the areas of agronomy, animal husbandry, soil science, ag business, rural finance, food science, engineering and more. Youth are encouraged to be creative in exploring and developing solutions.
Teams can be cross-county. Teams will work together starting in autumn 2014, and make formal presentations on the St. Paul campus in June, 2015. Each member of the top three teams will receive a university scholarship of $500 - $1,000.
Science of Ag Response team dates to know
- SOAR Informational Webinar - September 16, 2014 @ 7 pm
- Team letter of Intent due On-line - October 1-31, 2014
- SOAR Webinar, Questions and Progress Check - March 17, 2015 @ 7 pm
- SOAR Challenge Event Registration Due On-Line - April 15, 2015
- SOAR Challenge Destination Event at U of M St. Paul Campus - June 18-19, 2015
Who can participate?
The Science of Agriculture Response team may include 3-4 youth, grades 6 and above (current and new 4-Hers). Volunteers, coaches, coordinators and mentors will play an important role in the teams planning and execution.
Starting on October 1, 2014 and ending on October 31, 2014, teams interested in participating in the Science of Agriculture will need to complete the Team Intent Form to be eligible to participate in the destination event June 18-19, 2015. Team coaches need to complete the intent form below.
Science of Agriculture Response team aids
- Science of Agriculture Response (SOAR) Quick Start Guide (198 K)
- Science of Ag Drone presentation example (462 K)
- Team Judging Rubic example (141 K)
- Science of Ag fact sheet (158 K)
- SOAR coach position form (223 K)
- SOAR mentor position form (220 K)
- "What is the SOAR Challenge?" September 18, 2014 presentation (922 K)
Joshua E. Rice, Ph.D.
Assistant Extension Professor, Science of Agriculture