Minnesota 4-H Project Bowl
2014 general livestock references
Updated references available mid-November 2014
University of Minnesota Extension - beef home study courses
All courses are available from the Beef Industry Center Website with the University of Minnesota Extension. If you have questions about these online courses, contact Grant Crawford at 1-320-296-6716.
Information will be taken from lessons, quizzes and supplements/appendices in these course subjects:
- Stocker Backgrounder Nutrition & Management
- Health Management for Reproduction
- Breeding-Herd Nutrition
- Health Managment
- Pasture Management
- Value-based Marketing
Beef Quality Assurance Manual
Available from the Minnesota Beef Council, phone: 1-952-854-6980
The Ohio State University 4-H Beef Resource Handbook
Available from Ohio State University Media Distribution - Bulletin Number: 4-H 117R. phone 1-614-292-1607.
Brochures from the Minnesota Beef Council.
To get copies of these brochures, contact Amber Greeley at the Extension Center for Youth Development.
- "Brisket Made...Easy"
- "The Complete Take on Steak" (c)2010 Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- "Confident Cooking with Beef" (c)2010 Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- "Food Irradiation Facts"
- "Ground Beef Recipes for Your Busy Lifestyle"
Sheep Safety & Quality Assurance Program Manual
Available to order online from the American Sheep Industry Association
Sheep Production Handbook
Volume 7 (2002 Edition). Formerly called the Sheep Industry Development Handbook, or SID, from American Sheep Industry Association.
The Ohio State University 4-H Sheep Resource Handbook
Available from Ohio State University Media Distribution-Bulletin No. 4-H 194R. phone 1-614-292-1607.
Pork Quality Assurance Plus (2007)
Get this book from the Minnesota Pork Producers Association by phoning 1-507-345-8814.
The Ohio State University 4-H Swine Resource Handbook
Available from Ohio State University Media Distribution - Bulletin No. 4-H 134R. Phone 1-614-292-1607.
Quick Facts: The Pork Industry at a Glance (updated 2013)
from the National Pork Board.
National Hog Farmer website NEW
Articles from July 1 - Dec. 31, 2013
Topics: Animal well-being, business, environment, facilities, marketing
The Ohio State University Goat Resource Handbook
from Ohio State University Media Distribution - Bulletin Number: 4-H 135R
Note: Goat questions will only pertain to meat goats.
Notes about all general livestock references:
- Most references are available through county Extension offices.
- National 4-H Curriculum resources are available through each county Extension office or can be ordered online.
- Some references come only from commercial sources, as listed above.
- For the integrity of the contest, we do not release contest questions.