Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince & Princess Contest
A scholarship program of Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump
Welcome back to all of the 4-H members who will be participating at the 2014 Minnesota State Fair in various 4-H poultry competitions. A special congratulations to everyone who took part in the 2013 Poultry Prince and Princess Contest and an even bigger congratulations to the 2013 winners, Alex Oelke and Kristina Allen! After another great year, we are excited for the 2014 Poultry Prince and Princess Scholarship Program! To see what the buzz is all about, check out this fun video
2013 Poultry Princess & Prince Kristina Allen & Alex Oelke
How Can I Participate?
Who can attend?
The Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Contest at the Minnesota State Fair is an exciting opportunity for 4-H youth to be recognized for their poultry knowledge, experience, leadership and confidence. To be an eligible contestant of the Poultry Prince and Princess program, you must:
- Participate in the 4-H Poultry Interview/Quiz/Showmanship at the 2014 Minnesota State Fair
- Participate in the 4-H Chicken BBQ Contest at the 2014 Minnesota State Fair
- Have completed at least 9th grade by the start of the 2014 Minnesota State Fair*
* Note: contestants are not eligible during the 13th grade in 4-H. Poultry Prince and Princess duties occur during the next 4-H year, which is why those in their final 4-H year are not eligible.
What if I'm Named Poultry Prince or Princess?
We invite all Minnesota 4-H poultry members to participate in the fifth annual Poultry Prince and Princess Contest: A Scholarship Program of Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump for the chance to:
- Earn a $1,000 scholarship
- Serve as the official Poultry Prince or Princess Ambassador
- Develop networking and presentation skills
- Gain exposure through media opportunities
- Receive event photos and video
- Pose for and receive a commemorative painted portrait by the official State Fair artist
2014 Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Contest Schedule:
Eligibility: Take part in 4-H Poultry Showmanship and 4-H Chicken BBQ contests. Both are mandatory for you to qualify for the final Q&A Stage Presence round. Participating in the Judging Contest is optional, but can earn you more qualifying points.
Below is a breakdown of the required events for this year's contest:
- 4-H Poultry Interview/Quiz/Showmanship - Thursday, August 21 - Sheep & Poultry Barn
- Optional Poultry Judging Contest - Friday, August 22 - Sheep & Poultry Barn
- Chicken BBQ Contest - Saturday, August 23 - East side of the Coliseum (Clough St. & Judson Ave.)
- 4-H Q&A Stage Presence - Sunday, August 24 - Sheep & Poultry Barn
On Saturday, August 23, the top three male and three female contestants from the first two categories will be invited back to compete in the August 24 Q&A Stage Presence. The fifth annual 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess will be crowned immediately following the third round.
To enter you must fill out the online application and entry questionnaire by 10 a.m. on Friday, August 22, 2014. The application will open July 2014 - (coming soon).
Registration: To learn more details about the 2014 contest, please see the flyer below. To register, complete the online entry questionnaire. If you do not have access to the internet to complete your application, you can either use a computer at your local extension office (call first to schedule an appointment) or complete it at the State Fair. If you choose to wait until you have arrived at the State Fair, there will be four computers available for your use at the Fair grounds. They will be located in the back of the livestock publicity trailer, between the large cattle barn and orange annex (across from wash racks). Once you get on a computer at the State Fair, you will be allowed 30 minutes to complete your application, so we encourage you to apply before the Fair starts or come prepared with your answers.
The application will ask questions about your involvement in 4-H activities and why you are interested in competing in the Poultry Prince and Princess Contest. Each response carries a maximum of 75 words. If you go over this amount, the characters beyond this limit will be deleted. This format assures continuity in all applications.
- 2014 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Flyer
- Sample Application- word - sample application - pdf
- Stage Presence Sample Questions and Categories
- ONLINE Entry Questionnaire - Use this link to complete the online 2014 Entry Questionnaire. Before you submit your completed application, use your browser's print feature to print your completed submission for your records.
- Official 2014 Poultry Prince Contest Rules
- Official 2014 Poultry Princess Contest Rules
4-H Program Director
1-800-444-4238 (ext. 775)
1-800-444-4238 (ext. 222)