Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince & Princess Contest
A scholarship program of Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump
Congratulations to the current Poultry Prince and Princess Tyler Amick and Hayley Carlson, who won the 2014 Poultry Prince and Princess contest. After another great year, we are excited for the 2015 program. For interested and eligible 4-Hers, please bookmark this page and check back in July 2015 for additional updates and information on how to be a part of this exciting program, now in its 6th year! To learn more, check out this fun video.
Read tips from Tyler and Hayley on how you can become the 2015 Poultry Prince or Princess here!
How Can I Participate?
Who can attend?
The Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Contest at the Minnesota State Fair is an exciting opportunity for 4-H youth to be recognized for their poultry knowledge, experience, leadership and confidence. To be an eligible contestant of the Poultry Prince and Princess program, you must:
- Participate in the 4-H Poultry Interview/Quiz/Showmanship at the 2015 Minnesota State Fair
- Participate in the 4-H Chicken BBQ Contest at the 2015 Minnesota State Fair
- Have completed at least 9th grade by the start of the 2015 Minnesota State Fair*
* Note: contestants are not eligible during the 13th grade in 4-H. Poultry Prince and Princess duties occur during the next 4-H year, which is why those in their final 4-H year are not eligible.
2014 Poultry Prince & Princess Tyler Amick & Hayley Carlson
What if I'm Named Poultry Prince or Princess?
We invite all Minnesota 4-H poultry members to participate in the fifth annual Poultry Prince and Princess Contest: A Scholarship Program of Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump for the chance to:
- Earn a $1,000 scholarship
- Serve as the official Poultry Prince or Princess Ambassador
- Develop networking and presentation skills
- Gain exposure through media opportunities
- Receive event photos and video
- Pose for and receive a commemorative painted portrait by the official State Fair artist
2015 Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Contest Schedule:
Eligibility: Take part in 4-H Poultry Showmanship and 4-H Chicken BBQ contests. Both are mandatory for you to qualify for the final Q&A Stage Presence round. Participating in the Judging Contest is optional, but can earn you more qualifying points.
Below is a breakdown of the required events for this year's contest:
- 4-H Poultry Interview/Quiz/Showmanship - Thursday, August 27
- Optional Poultry Judging Contest - Friday, August 28
- Chicken BBQ Contest - Saturday, August 29 - East side of the Coliseum (Clough St. & Judson Ave.)
- 4-H Q&A Stage Presence - Sunday, August 30 - Sheep & Poultry Barn
On Saturday, August 29, the top three male and three female contestants from the first two categories will be invited back to compete in the August 30 Q&A Stage Presence. The sixth annual 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess will be crowned immediately following the third round.
To enter you must fill out the online application and entry questionnaire by 10 a.m. on Friday, August 28, 2015. The 2015 application will open in July 2015.
Registration: To learn more details about the 2015 contest, please see the flyer below. To register, complete the online entry questionnaire. If you do not have access to the internet to complete your application, you can either use a computer at your local extension office (call first to schedule an appointment) or complete it at the State Fair. If you choose to wait until you have arrived at the State Fair, there will be four computers available for your use at the Fair grounds. They will be located in the back of the livestock publicity trailer, between the large cattle barn and orange annex (across from wash racks). Once you get on a computer at the State Fair, you will be allowed 30 minutes to complete your application, so we encourage you to apply before the Fair starts or come prepared with your answers.
The application will ask questions about your involvement in 4-H activities and why you are interested in competing in the Poultry Prince and Princess Contest. Each response carries a maximum of 75 words. If you go over this amount, the characters beyond this limit will be deleted. This format assures continuity in all applications.
- 2015 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Flyer
- Sample Application- word - sample application - pdf
- Stage Presence Sample Questions and Categories
- ONLINE Entry Questionnaire - Use this link to complete the online 2015 Entry Questionnaire (posted July 2015). Before you submit your completed application, be sure to print a copy of your submission (use your browser's print feature) for your records.
- Official 2015 Poultry Prince Contest Rules
- Official 2015 Poultry Princess Contest Rules
4-H Program Director