Engineering Design Challenge
Learn critical thinking, creativity, innovation and problem solving in a non-traditional learning event and have fun at the same time! Young people in grades 3 and up can participate in friendly science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) events. Participants apply their STEM knowledge to solve problems by identifying and researching them, then making and implementing a plan to design a solution. The challenge is designed by staff from the University of Minnesota Extension Center for Youth Development.
The 2018 Engineering Design Challenge: Plant a seed and water it
New in 2018
Engineering Design Challenge Level 2 for youth in grades 9 and up
Level 2 machines will incorporate four types of engineering: mechanical (simple machines), chemical, electrical and fluid power.
Engineering Design Challenge Level 1 for youth in grades 3 through 8
Level 1 machines focus on mechanical engineering (simple machines).
4-H Engineering Design Challenge state showcase event
We are hosting our first ever state event for all Level 1 and Level 2 teams. This event will include a conference judging experience, STEM careers, hands-on educational sessions and guest speakers.
Form a team and take part in the 2018 Engineering Design Challenge!
- Every team needs 2 adult coaches/helpers who are screened 4-H volunteers.
- Both coaches/helpers must sign up before the team members can sign up.
- Download the handbook(s) for full information.
Webinar for coaches: Wednesday, March 21 at 6:30 p.m. CDT
Follow these directions to join the webinar
Before the webinar
- Sign in to the site at any time to check your computer/device connection and get the Adobe download to participate. This "add-on" takes several minutes to download.
- If patticipating on an iPad or iPhone, download the Adobe App prior to the meeting time
On the day of the webinar
- Sign on to the webinar site 15 minutes early (6:15 p.m. CDT) to test your Internet and speaker connection. There will also be a "sign-in pod" to record your participation.
- Follow these steps to participate in the webinar on a computer
- Use a compter that has a high-speed Internet connection and speakers (audio will come through your computer)
- Go to https://umnextcyd.adobeconnect.com/engineeringchallenge/ (If prompted to download the Adobe add-on, click yes.)
- You will be directed to a sign-in page. Enter as Guest by typing your name and clicking the Enter Room button.
- Level 1 handbook (PDF)
- Level 2 handbook (PDF)
- Registration instructions (PDF)
- Ideas & resources
- Meet our program leaders